Thread: Know where I want to be, not how I begin

Know where I want to be, not how I begin

Entroducing by DJ Shadow changed my life years ago and inspired me to want to make music/ trip hop that uses samples ( particularly from horror movies). I don't really see it as a potential career, more like a hobby putting albums together where I bring my love for music and horror movies together. Think trip hop acid jazz and music/ effects/ dialogue from horror movies..

The problem is, I have zero idea where to start, and I'm not going to be able to ask DJ shadow for advice - so any help?

Great album indeed, and welcome to DjF.

Not sure if you're asking about production and/or DJing, because he does both to a high level

this is how he finds his samples:

Then he does have some good going DJing/mixing/scratching chops. Pretty sure he acquired some of those by hanging out with the high profile friends:

Here's some recommended viewing:

Welcome to DJF! Check out the Beginner's MEGA THREAD - it's a sticky in this section... and it's a link in my signature.
    -KLH
    Visit DJF's Beginner's MEGA thread and drop by my Facebook Fan Page.
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...

Quote Originally Posted by KLH View Post
    Welcome to DJF! Check out the Beginner's MEGA THREAD - it's a sticky in this section... and it's a link in my signature.
    thanks so much for the reply

So what he does is called producing?

Production is the process of making and recording music, using instruments and equipment/software. this is what you will need to learn in terms of following a music making path.

The more niche you are with your Genre (as does yours sound), the more likely you can grow a following. Especially if you're very focused in its specifics. My problem was being to varied in tastes and always trying different genres, instead of mastering that 1 thing i was really in to.

Quote Originally Posted by mitchiemasha View Post
    The more niche you are with your Genre (as does yours sound), the more likely you can grow a following. Especially if you're very focused in its specifics. My problem was being to varied in tastes and always trying different genres, instead of mastering that 1 thing i was really in to.
    That's what I figured. I've decided to start this very late in life which worried me at first, but since my only goal is to release albums online ( haven't even for a second considered it as a career) and it's a very specific genre, it should be less of a huge task to become competent.

I'm guessing it's still a good idea to buy a dj controller and learn how to scratch, even though it sounds like I'm aiming to be a producer? Especially if i'm going for that trip hop sound?

Buy a Native Instruments Maschine or a very simple DAW (avoid the more pro ones to start out, they will overwhelm you with options) and just record sample from youtube and play around with beats over them. I would not learn how to DJ, that is a skill all on its own. Learn how to sample (as mentioned) and play with beats. If you focus on having fun and not sounding pro right from the start, you will pretty easily be able to produce some songs. Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by Aaronreaction View Post
    That's what I figured. I've decided to start this very late in life which worried me at first, but since my only goal is to release albums online ( haven't even for a second considered it as a career) and it's a very specific genre, it should be less of a huge task to become competent.

I'm guessing it's still a good idea to buy a dj controller and learn how to scratch, even though it sounds like I'm aiming to be a producer? Especially if i'm going for that trip hop sound?
    Were you looking to actually DJ or are you interested in making tracks (As in producing)?

Quote Originally Posted by Aaronreaction View Post

The problem is, I have zero idea where to start, and I'm not going to be able to ask DJ shadow for advice - so any help?
    First off you need to put in the groundwork and you'll need to be prepared to really dig for unique sounding samples.

Obviously,acquiring a broad knowledge of contrasting musical genres takes years of dedication and commitment and this is the main thing to remember with someone like DJ Shadow, the sample choices are what made an album such as Entroducing so different sounding for the time period it was released in - by not following the perceived idea of what Hip Hop is supposed to be and pushing boundaries within what is, let's face it, a pretty conservative art form at the end of the day .

Also, trying to create something really unique through sampling is a process which is immensely time consuming,it can be pretty laborious and frustrating at times so be realistic in your approach when it comes to doing this on a ****** basis, as the truth is, if you're not prepared to put in the amount of time it will require the end results probably won't sound very good anyway.

You'll also probably be aware that Entroducing was made on an Akai MPC - 60 sampler and an Alesis ADAT tape machine .. obviously the tech has moved on considerably since then .. what gear are you planning to use, just out of interest?

It's a pity hes fallen off big time these days though .. Shadow's output since the Private Press lp and the last 3 albums he's released have been very patchy and inconsistant in my opinion .
    Last edited by Danswift; 06-22-2019 at 08:02 AM.
    signature links removed - please see rules