Thread: All pioneer Digital DJM Mixers (DJM 850 +) have a terrible analog sound

Threaded View

Please watch the videos. Watch them twice, 3 times even. I can only point you in the right direction, the rest is up to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Dubflakes View Post
    No, it isn't. Warmer is a term used by just about every sound engineer (Yourself excluded) on earth to describe analog sound and the harmonic distortion that goes with it in comparison to the harshness of digital recordings.

https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/analogue-warmth

That's a decision made by the producer and engineer. Whether the majority of recordings have fallen victim to the "Loudness Wars" it's not the be all, end all of recording. Digital mixes can still be warm, and do not have to have the dynamic range mashed out of it. I mix a lot of deeper styles and I can assure you, very few of the tracks I play are overly compressed or brick walled. Hyper-compressed music is like nails across a chalkboard to me, so I avoid it whenever possible. I Consider dynamics as much as anything else when I'm digging for tracks. As for producers, there are plenty of studios that can sum digital mixes down to analog to achieve harmonic distortion prior to pressing.

You've took my comment incorrectly. Your reply isn't wrong but your understanding is still a bit off.

I was referring to Vinyl Enthusiasts and it's in inaccuracies. See the 3rd video, that is the extra they are witnessing. Digital recording (16bit 441) isn't harsh, it's distorting it that's harsh. Harmonic distortion is an essential production tool, both analogue and simulated digitally. but, any playback medium that adds it itself, is a floor, an inaccuracy of that device, regardless to liking it. If a tune is already smashed to death, there's no room for that extra distortion, the sound is already full. With analogue studio gear, it's a quick way for experienced engineers to add that texture, colour they seek to their production.

As a side note... may of my favourite 90's Trance tunes were ruined when mastered to CD single. Engineers were only learning and made many mistakes. They couldn't push things that hard incorrectly on a vinyl, the needle would skip the groove and the established Vinyl engineers had MASTERED the Vinyl Art perfectly. It's also worth noting, those early CD's could of been louder and cleaner, had they done it right.

Edit: That's a good SOS link... Lots of info for anyone new to the subject. I suggest people read it more than once. It supports my original comment.
    Last edited by mitchiemasha; 05-16-2019 at 10:36 PM.