Thread: iPhone DJs? What are your thoughts?

iPhone DJs? What are your thoughts?

I saw this on DJWorx and I want to know what DJF thinks about it?

Are we ready to rock crowds with our only phones or tablets?
    -KLH
    Visit DJF's Beginner's MEGA thread and drop by my Facebook Fan Page.
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...

What else can go wrong with a phone?... You know, apart from the usual issues of relying just on a portable device. (oops my battery died, spotify is down, no signal, my memory card failed and needs formatting etc)

It can be used just like another digital tool, but too much potential to go wrong imho

Last edited by Manu; 05-08-2019 at 12:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Manu View Post
    What else can go wrong with a phone?... You know, apart from the usual issues of relying just on a portable device. (oops my battery died, spotify is down, no signal, my memory card failed and needs formatting etc)

It can be used just like another digital tool, but too much potential to go wrong imho

An iPhone (or any smart phone)???... Not for me. TOO small. But then again, I think a 17" laptop screen is too small. Looking at KLH's video, I think it looks funny, but maybe the kids don't care. I dunno??? I do have an iPad Mini that I have as a second backup, but it has music ON IT. My primary backups are Windows computers. I don't EVER stream because it's still too risky IMO. I have Bluetooth on both of my systems so I can have my iPad connected to play for a short time while I resolve a problem, but fortunately have never needed to go to a second backup. I have Djay Pro on my iPad Mini, and while I like some of the features in DJay Pro, it's just too small on a Mini or smart phone for ME to do any serious mixing.

Yeah there's that too. Too small, no tactile feedback. You have to look at the device instead of using your sense of touch, and I do use my gear without looking at it. A lot. I like my jog wheels, buttons, knobs and faders..

Would maybe consider as a backup, like I used portable machines as backup before.But then I have a dual deck CD player as a proper backup...
    Last edited by Manu; 05-08-2019 at 01:30 PM.

iPhone DJs? What are your thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Manu View Post
    ... no tactile feedback. You have to look at the device instead of using your sense of touch, and I do use my gear without looking at it. A lot. I like my jog wheels, buttons, knobs and faders...
    Totally agree. I try to look up at the audience instead of looking down at the computer or controller, so I’m mixing by feel most of the time. Searching the library requires looking at the computer screen, but that’s really about the only time I look at it.

I have a Surface Pro tablet as a backup PC with my Small System. I tried using it with DJay Pro, which has a touch screen interface. I decided (after a lot of practice) that I really could not do any serious mixing with that configuration. I could use it to get by for a few minutes, but if my main PC failed and could not be used for the rest of a gig, using a touch screen app to mix would NOT be acceptable. So I loaded Traktor on my Surface Pro and added a DDJ-WeGO3. It takes up more space, but it’s actually usable if I had to use it for an entire event. The screen is still too small, but the tactile feel of the WeGO is still worth the extra space requires. Here’s what it looks like.

Last edited by DJ Bobcat; 05-08-2019 at 03:53 PM.

i have a lot to say but i can bank on the fact no one will care. 90 percent of this dj set was done without mixing in on beat. it was fader slammed or transitioned with an effect and then playing another song with random timing, different bpm. Not to say that a lot of people with typical dj equipment dont do the same. Just proves how loose the term dj has become. You used to have a certain caliber of skillset to be a dj before.

Its becoming apparent now that ANYONE can be a dj. You just have to play music, that's it. Nothing else applies. It makes other dj's who spent their life perfecting certain skills like beat matching, phrase matching, mixing in key, and with newer technology producing and making remixes on the fly, feel like it doesnt even matter. I'll still hold my head high knowing i have all these skills. And i know others will say it doesnt matter and that we are both dj's and that pleasing the crowd is all that matters. But im sure you guys can agree with me to a certain extent.

For instance, imagine professional race car driving, where in addition to the racing elite, people were allowed to use cars driven by computers that race for them, without them having to do a thing, yet still being considered a race car driver. I know thats more accurately compared to djs using sync, but this video proves sync doesnt even matter, since the rules for beat matching dont apply. It's like most of the "soulection" dj's, where most of the emphasis is put on the playlist instead of actual mixing skills. They obviously have pre determined sets.
    This signature has been censored. - PCWO

It is true that playing music out in a smooth way has become easier with things like the sync button, but the tool should not matter much when "judging" the DJ or audience. I personally enjoy using no sync, no bpm counter etc, because I just enjoy the struggle of it and the excitement of making great transitions. That is why I DJ...my own experience.

For the audience the creativity/experience is still what makes the difference. There will always be audiences that dont care really about the DJ and most likely it is going to be the larger audience. There is no need to compare this with DJs that build up a set, try to take you for an experience and once in a while really provide life changing experiences. They are just different which is also a good thing. Underground music would not be underground if the masses would accept it right? Everyone their thing...