Thread: Anyone here use Rekordbox Lyric? Looking for some feedback

Anyone here use Rekordbox Lyric? Looking for some feedback

Ok, so I don't have a controller yet, I'm looking at the DDJ-400. I downloaded the RB trial to test it out I was especially interested in the Lyric add-on for karaoke. I understand demo versions have limitations, but I wasn't really thrilled that it only works with 5 songs that they hand picked, but whatever. Googling for reviews most people seem to strongly dislike it, but a lot of the beefs I saw were due to it not having lyrics for weird remixes or extended versions. I would like to use it just for visual effects for regular music. But I'd like to do some karaoke parties too. Now I don't have a high end computer, but it works well for everything else I do. Until this, even in the low quality mode the lyrics come up super laggy and the motion is choppy. IN med/high it might as well be unusable. Even low looks so bad and is so slow I wouldn't dream of using it at an event with my current rig. Here are my specs, 2 gen old Intel i5, 8gb ddr3, Intel on board graphics. I know my graphics is bottom barrel. But, the lyric plugin isn't doing fancy 3d graphics with tons of effects. I Googled and I wasn't finding anything helpful. IF I decide to get the DDJ-400 I'll need a new laptop to use the lyric plugin. What would be a good GPU range to look for? I'm not really interested in buying a higher end gaming laptop just to make the lyrics look good. Would a new entry-mid level laptop, like i5 $450'ish range be good enough? I also read some not so great things about RB video, like it drops frames and can stutter a lot. But they were posted over a year ago and the people didn't post system specs. I would like to use the video add-on too, and have it run well and not bring the whole system to it's knees.

if anyone here used lyric + video I'm all ears. I probably won't go with the DDJ-400 if I'm going to need some ridiculously powerful PC. Or just if the video+lyric add-on's are just not very good.

Quote Originally Posted by j-bird View Post
    Ok, so I don't have a controller yet, I'm looking at the DDJ-400. I downloaded the RB trial to test it out I was especially interested in the Lyric add-on for karaoke. I understand demo versions have limitations, but I wasn't really thrilled that it only works with 5 songs that they hand picked, but whatever. Googling for reviews most people seem to strongly dislike it, but a lot of the beefs I saw were due to it not having lyrics for weird remixes or extended versions. I would like to use it just for visual effects for regular music. But I'd like to do some karaoke parties too. Now I don't have a high end computer, but it works well for everything else I do. Until this, even in the low quality mode the lyrics come up super laggy and the motion is choppy. IN med/high it might as well be unusable. Even low looks so bad and is so slow I wouldn't dream of using it at an event with my current rig. Here are my specs, 2 gen old Intel i5, 8gb ddr3, Intel on board graphics. I know my graphics is bottom barrel. But, the lyric plugin isn't doing fancy 3d graphics with tons of effects. I Googled and I wasn't finding anything helpful. IF I decide to get the DDJ-400 I'll need a new laptop to use the lyric plugin. What would be a good GPU range to look for? I'm not really interested in buying a higher end gaming laptop just to make the lyrics look good. Would a new entry-mid level laptop, like i5 $450'ish range be good enough? I also read some not so great things about RB video, like it drops frames and can stutter a lot. But they were posted over a year ago and the people didn't post system specs. I would like to use the video add-on too, and have it run well and not bring the whole system to it's knees.

if anyone here used lyric + video I'm all ears. I probably won't go with the DDJ-400 if I'm going to need some ridiculously powerful PC. Or just if the video+lyric add-on's are just not very good.
    According to the minimum hardware requirements, your PC is NOT too far off...

* CPU: Intel® processor Core™ i7, i5, i3. Intel® processor Core™ 2 Duo 2.0GHz or higher.

*Memory: 4 GB or more of RAM.

*Display Resolution: 1280 x 768 or higher.

... That 2.0GHz may be the gotcha. I’ve found that anything short of 2.0GHz with any of the DJ applications can result in choppiness and lag.

I’ve run Traktor on a stick PC with a 1.6 quad core Atom CPU without any issues, but that was just playing music. You add in video or graphics and it’s a different ball game.

Thanks for the reply, I hit the requirements no problem, my CPU's @ 3.4ghz. I'm just wondering how much better of a video card I need. In the low setting, which looks horrible graphically it's still slower than the videos from Pioneer I've seen on if on Youtube. As far as superficial effect go I really like it. I guess it's possible a new gen i5 or i7 could help a lot. But I'm just shocked at how poorly it runs on my laptop. I suppose since I like VDJ more than Serato I could go with the DDJ-400 since it comes with RB and will work with VDJ too.

Thanks for the reply, I hit the requirements no problem, my CPU's @ 3.4ghz. I'm just wondering how much better of a video card I need. In the low setting, which looks horrible graphically it's still slower than the videos from Pioneer I've seen on if on Youtube. As far as superficial effect go I really like it. I guess it's possible a new gen i5 or i7 could help a lot. But I'm just shocked at how poorly it runs on my laptop. I suppose since I like VDJ more than Serato I could go with the DDJ-400 since it comes with RB and will work with VDJ too.
    I have never used Rekordbox, but I can’t imagine why it doesn’t run on a 3.4GHz processor. Maybe if the video’s you’re using are on the Internet, perhaps it could be your Internet download speed? If that’s the case, a faster processor isn’t likely going to help much. If it’s not network related, you might try to see if tuning up the laptop a bit improves the performance... get rid of the bloatware, etcetera. Windows 10 has WAY too much going on inside that serves no real purpose for the user, and much of it CAN be turned off.

Not trying to change you software choice but virtual dj handles karaoke and video in general better than any other software. Also it is not hard on your computer. Best of all it works with any controller.
    QSC GTDaudio B52 Numark NS7 American DJ Hercules 4Mx ACER Behringer Peavey Koss CerwinVega Selenium VDJ= Sweet Music
    Owner DRZ Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by drzinc View Post
    Not trying to change you software choice but virtual dj handles karaoke and video in general better than any other software. Also it is not hard on your computer. Best of all it works with any controller.
    Yeah, that's what I'm seeing, the karaoke looks imho so much better than VDJ. I liked the DDJ-400 because it comes with the full RB, but if I'm going to need a new laptop PLUS I'd still have to buy the video plugin and pay monthly for the lyric addon. And outside of Setaro fan boys (which I understand) VDJ seems to get a lot of praise. As a bonus I'll still have RB that comes with the controller, so down the road if I get a new laptop and wanna spend $150 for video support I can. Kind of sucks nobody sells a decent controller that comes bundled with VDJ. $250 for a controller + $299 for software when the controller already has software does kind of blow, oh well. I'd love to hear from anyone who uses RB with video, maybe it's just a weird system driver issue or something for me. I even have RB installed on an SSD which should help things.

And responding to DJ Bobcat, all the video I've tried to play in RB has been choppy and all if it's stored locally on my computer. Over the years I've tried probably 15 different video players just to see which I like. And RB was the 1st that couldn't play it without a pretty serious amount of frames dropping. If any others did, it wasn't enough to notice. This is also with a clean install of Windows 10 about 2 months ago, with very little software added that could bog things down.
    Last edited by j-bird; 05-05-2019 at 06:04 PM.

I can't speak for Lyric, don't know anything about it.

But so far as Rekordbox and CPU, I'll just say.. I have an oldish laptop Thinkpad T420 which has an i5-2540M (2.6GHz), I have got 8GB RAM and two SSD's in it. It's about an 8 year old machine but still super solid, I love it but of course it is a bit slow.

Anyway yea up to recently I've only been using RB as a tool for getting my tracks to and from the thumb drives to play on my CDJ's. It took a while to analyze the tracks.. def showing its age.. but not so bad and I thought it was fine. But recently I started working more with the RB UI, listening to tracks in it, organizing, testing mixes, setting cue points. And it started choking up on me sometimes.. varying playback speed, stuttering.. locked up UI.... Possibly I can work on the drivers I'm using and get things better but I have to say I was surprised that even with stock class-compliant USB audio drivers that I would have this problem. If I were to depend on RB for full-time live performance I would def want something with a bit more horsepower for that extra margin of safety.

PS: When comparing laptop CPU's it is a good idea to compare using benchmark scores, for example my machine cpu is a "2.6GHz i5" so no problem right? Well it has a passmark rating of 3784, not terrible but pretty low by current standards. A 2.4 GHz i5-6300U which is also old now, has a passmark of 4374. But what about the higher clock speed, it should be faster in a single thread at least??? Nope. Single thread passmark of 1563 for my 2540m vs 1628 for the 6300U.

So yea, compare benchmarks when comparing laptops with different chipsets in them, just "i5" and the clock speed doesn't tell you enough.
    Last edited by light-o-matic; 05-05-2019 at 06:53 PM.

Yeah, that's what I'm seeing, the karaoke looks imho so much better than VDJ. I liked the DDJ-400 because it comes with the full RB, but if I'm going to need a new laptop PLUS I'd still have to buy the video plugin and pay monthly for the lyric addon. And outside of Setaro fan boys (which I understand) VDJ seems to get a lot of praise. As a bonus I'll still have RB that comes with the controller, so down the road if I get a new laptop and wanna spend $150 for video support I can. Kind of sucks nobody sells a decent controller that comes bundled with VDJ. $250 for a controller + $299 for software when the controller already has software does kind of blow, oh well. I'd love to hear from anyone who uses RB with video, maybe it's just a weird system driver issue or something for me. I even have RB installed on an SSD which should help things.

And responding to DJ Bobcat, all the video I've tried to play in RB has been choppy and all if it's stored locally on my computer. Over the years I've tried probably 15 different video players just to see which I like. And RB was the 1st that couldn't play it without a pretty serious amount of frames dropping. If any others did, it wasn't enough to notice. This is also with a clean install of Windows 10 about 2 months ago, with very little software added that could bog things down.
    This controller supports and comes with virtual dj! http://www.reloop.com/reloop-touch
    QSC GTDaudio B52 Numark NS7 American DJ Hercules 4Mx ACER Behringer Peavey Koss CerwinVega Selenium VDJ= Sweet Music
    Owner DRZ Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by drzinc View Post
    This controller supports and comes with virtual dj! http://www.reloop.com/reloop-touch
    Well damn, definitely hadn't seen that one in my searches. Looks pretty sweet, not sure how well the layout and small platters will work for scratching. But for the price + VDJ it needs to go on my list.