Thread: Upgrading equipment. Help!

Upgrading equipment. Help!

I’ve been a mobile Dj for a while and have always used Gemeni 2000 watt speakers. These https://www.amazon.com/Gemini-PA-SYS...gateway&sr=8-2

But I’m looking to upgrade to something with louder sound and a good bass. I don’t have a lot of room in my vehicle so I try not to bring subs with me. I do have one small sub I sometimes bring but otherwise I just reply on the speakers 15” subs.

So what speakers would you recommend that give me the loudest sound and clearest at the best prices.

Welcome to the forums, we're going to need to know what your budget is & also can you give us the manufacturer & model of the 15" sub that you presently have?
    If I had to play only for people who liked the music because they heard it on the radio, it wouldn't make me happy. -- David Guetta

It looks like you've got an upside down system, a small sub (which is in itself an oxymoron) and big mains. You should have one or two good sized subs and ten inch loaded mains. The lower in frequency you go the larger the speakers should be, the higher in frequency you go the smaller they can be. You've got it the other way around.
    Bill Fitzmaurice
    Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Yes what is your budget? Just about everything is an upgrade from that Gemini system but it will take a bigger investment to own it.
    Paul O'Brien
    Old Tech Guy
    www.Techott.com

The budget isn’t an issue. The main thing is portable speakers that sound clear and are very loud and produce good base

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bill Fitzmaurice is an audio expert, so you should definitely consider his advice. I, on the other hand, am NO expert. I’ve been a mobile DJ for 4 1/2 years, but I have learned a lot. One thing I learned is it’s important to know what types of events will be your staple when you’re buying a PA system. If you’re a wedding DJ, you’re looking at a typical crowd of 150-200 guests. If you do large high school events, 300-500 kids is a possibility. Build a system that will handle events the size you typically do, then if you need more, you can rent additional PA speakers when necessary. Or you can scale up your system over time by adding additional subs and tops. Just remember, the larger events add a considerable amount of complexity when trying to cover large venues or outdoor events, and will require more than just rudimentary audio technician skills.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you want good bass you're better off getting much smaller tops eg 10 inch tops or even 8 inch.. and use that space for a sub or better yet two. Sure you can get much better 15 inch tops than what you have, but if you want solid bass you'll never really get it that way.

Quote Originally Posted by djronnie View Post
    The main thing is portable speakers that sound clear and are very loud and produce good base
    There's an immovable object between you and that goal. It's called Hoffman's Iron Law. http://www.salksound.com/wp/?p=56
    Long wavelengths at high volume from small speakers do not come.
    Bill Fitzmaurice
    Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Quote Originally Posted by Monekyguy8090 View Post
    So what speakers would you recommend that give me the loudest sound and clearest at the best prices.
    I think you've gone as far as you can with the speakers you have. Keep in mind that you can stay where you are and just get louder with more of the same speakers.

We all reach that fork in the road and realize that to get to the next level, you have to invest heavily - and any convenience you had will disappear.
    -KLH
    Visit DJF's Beginner's MEGA thread and drop by my Facebook Fan Page.
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...