Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 20 of 20

Thread: Which macbook?

  1. #11
    My only gripe with the new models is that they don't have enough I/O while the specs are on par, the nerfing of the Firewire port from 400 to 800 was somewhat tolerable while they kept the USB ports but the USB-C/Thunderbolt requires a breakout box/dock to split into standard-size USB, FW/Thunderbolt/USB-C and power supply..

  2. #12
    I find it ENORMOUSLY entertaining to see multiple people are suggesting 2012 as a good year for Macbooks...
    I mean, PEOPLE.. 2012 is ancient.

    I mean, I'm typing this on a 2011 Thinkpad T420.. awesome computer, solid as a rock, amazing keyboard. But slow.. quite slow. It's fine for everyday use, but actually flakes out sometimes just trying to preview tracks in Rekordbox, I would never invest in one of these for music production today.

    So what's that you say, Macs are special?? No, they aren't. Not the hardware. The chipsets are the same Intel or AMD chipsets as any other laptop made in 2012.

    It's just hilarious how people have this illusion that because a computer has an Apple logo on it that being 7+ years old is not a problem the way it is with any other brand.
    I mean, if you must get an ancient laptop, I suggest an old Thinkpad, you can get one like mine for $150 these days. I see old MBP's selling for $500 and up, that's ridiculous. If you want to do music production, get a recent machine with lots of cores and lots of RAM.

  3. #13
    PS: Yesterday I was DJing in a parade, and we were using my friends DDJ-1000 and his Macbook Air, and we were in direct sunlight on top of the float.. and while I was DJing the laptop just lost it, just flaked out on me, started glitching out due to overheating..... Well, duh, no fan... These computers were not made for continuous CPU loads. We had to stop the music and quickly arrange some shade for the laptop. That never would have happened to my computer, it has this fancy new cooling device called a FAN.

  4. #14
    New Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Riverside, CA
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by light-o-matic View Post
    I find it ENORMOUSLY entertaining to see multiple people are suggesting 2012 as a good year for Macbooks...
    I mean, PEOPLE.. 2012 is ancient.

    I mean, I'm typing this on a 2011 Thinkpad T420.. awesome computer, solid as a rock, amazing keyboard. But slow.. quite slow. It's fine for everyday use, but actually flakes out sometimes just trying to preview tracks in Rekordbox, I would never invest in one of these for music production today.

    So what's that you say, Macs are special?? No, they aren't. Not the hardware. The chipsets are the same Intel or AMD chipsets as any other laptop made in 2012.

    It's just hilarious how people have this illusion that because a computer has an Apple logo on it that being 7+ years old is not a problem the way it is with any other brand.
    I mean, if you must get an ancient laptop, I suggest an old Thinkpad, you can get one like mine for $150 these days. I see old MBP's selling for $500 and up, that's ridiculous. If you want to do music production, get a recent machine with lots of cores and lots of RAM.

    Multiple people have told me a 5 year old Macbook would run Serato better than any PC I could buy today. It depends on the software you use, but I know for sure there are a number of programs that are on both OS's. Where the OSX version runs light years better. In my case for instance, your "2012 is ancient" Mac would be better for me than any PC for my needs (Serato + Serato Video) I can't buy a PC that will run it well, that's obviously due to Serato's programming team doing shit work on the PC port. So considering this laptop will only really be used for Serato, I gotta go with the one with the fancy logo and much much higher price. Sometimes though, regardless of the why, it is what it is ...
    Last edited by j-bird; 05-19-2019 at 07:37 PM.

  5. #15
    I'm no fan of Windows.. OS/X is a superior OS. But I totally doubt that there's enough performance difference to account for 5 years of CPU chipset advancements. But you may have to mess around with audio drivers to get the max performance. Anyway, we're not talking about 5 years, we're talking about 7+ years... So no, not buying it.

    If I really had to run OS/X I'd do the hackintosh thing, so much better value.

  6. #16
    Member gammagoblin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    where the dirty money is on a numbered bank account
    Posts
    161
    Quote Originally Posted by light-o-matic View Post
    PS: ...Macbook Air,...overheating..... Well, duh, no fan... ...That never would have happened to my computer, it has this fancy new cooling device called a FAN.
    Well we have to admit here, that these Air thingies are called Netbook, and thats what they are usefull for, a little bit of surfing the Internet and read your mails.
    You can use them for DigiDJing, you can also use them as a Crypto-Miner or as a Rendering Machine, but it wont work out well, its not the right tool for the right job.

    Concerning the Fan:
    It makes a hell lot of sense to use conductive cooling over convective in regards of long-term usage. Most people do not know how to change a fan or even how to clean the ducts. If you have moving parts, they are predetermined to fail.
    But of course with most designs you won't get that thermal performance you get with active cooling. But as PUs, Chipsets and SS-Memmory getting more efficient, we might reach the time where it's not needed anymore to have an active cooling.
    Well that presumes that the latte-macchiato-drinking-, co-working-space-farting-, "i did before it was cool"-hipsters design and code less ressource hungry.

    Or just having your daily bottle liquid nitrogen with you:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZr0W_g0dqk

    @Topic of the thread
    I would not recommend a fanless Product at this momment for Digi-DJing. And i would for all usages not recommend a design where you cannot change RAM or SSD.
    Last edited by gammagoblin; 05-20-2019 at 12:16 AM.
    "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy because you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -Edward Snowden

  7. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by gammagoblin View Post
    Concerning the Fan:
    It makes a hell lot of sense to use conductive cooling over convective in regards of long-term usage. Most people do not know how to change a fan or even how to clean the ducts. If you have moving parts, they are predetermined to fail.
    But of course with most designs you won't get that thermal performance you get with active cooling. But as PUs, Chipsets and SS-Memmory getting more efficient, we might reach the time where it's not needed anymore to have an active cooling.
    Well that presumes that the latte-macchiato-drinking-, co-working-space-farting-, "i did before it was cool"-hipsters design and code less ressource hungry.
    Hmm.. wonder if there's a laptop where you could connect an external fan (like an air intake slot with 5..9V power connector) or run it with passive cooling depending on usage.

    @Topic of the thread
    I would not recommend a fanless Product at this momment for Digi-DJing. And i would for all usages not recommend a design where you cannot change RAM or SSD.
    They're becoming increasingly common these days... because fans tend to have a short lifecycle. MBP's have ducts in them to aid cooling but obviously space is an issue.

  8. #18
    Member jazzyj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    1,335
    Quote Originally Posted by light-o-matic View Post
    I find it ENORMOUSLY entertaining to see multiple people are suggesting 2012 as a good year for Macbooks...
    I mean, PEOPLE.. 2012 is ancient.
    Mainly because of the cd-drive bay option to add another hard-drive. I suggested Macbook PRO not Macbook AIR.
    - jj -

  9. #19
    Member gammagoblin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    where the dirty money is on a numbered bank account
    Posts
    161
    Quote Originally Posted by efinque View Post
    Hmm.. wonder if there's a laptop where you could connect an external fan (like an air intake slot with 5..9V power connector) or run it with passive cooling depending on usage.
    Well there is is some sort of it. Active cooled Laptop-Stands.
    https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/best-laptop-coolers
    "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy because you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -Edward Snowden

  10. #20
    Yea I have that same option in my old thinkpad.. to replace the optical drive with another hard disk or SSD. The optical just pops out and the hard disk adapter goes in its place. I have the adapter but I'm not using it right now because the machine also has an msata slot and a regular 2.5 inch sata slot, and I have a 1TB SSD in each of those.. so basically the storage in the machine are worth more than the machine. To put a third SSD in there is tempting because it would be super decadent, but really I just need to get a new laptop with that money ...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
a