Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which macbook?

Which macbook?

can anyone help me choose which Macbook model and spec is best for dj-ing and music production

Thread moved to correct section

where the dirty money is on a numbered bank account
    Anything older than 2016, if it has to be a mac.
    Only one USB-C connection is not practical if you already need an adapter to plug it to power and the soundcard at the same time, and soldered on RAM, SSD and glued down battery, is just a planned obsolescense wet dream of that already strong restricted platform.
    "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy because you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -Edward Snowden

MBP 2012. Still has cd player. Take out cd player, replace with SSDrive. Depending on size, you can now get all music in one machine.
    - jj -

Not to thread jack, but I'm in the same boat. Recently got a Roland DJ 202 that came with Serato DJ Pro, and the performance on my Windows box is shockingly terrible (i5 3.2ghz/8gb/SSD/on board video) Serato takes a good 25 seconds to fully open and be usable. I'm trying out the SL Video demo and it plays about 1 frame every 10 seconds even in the lowest quality settings. I was going to upgrade my PC, but I thought maybe a Macbook would be a better way to go. For Serato what model should I be looking at? I don't need lightning fast, but full frame video playback would be lovely.

Quote Originally Posted by j-bird View Post
    Not to thread jack, but I'm in the same boat. Recently got a Roland DJ 202 that came with Serato DJ Pro, and the performance on my Windows box is shockingly terrible (i5 3.2ghz/8gb/SSD/on board video) Serato takes a good 25 seconds to fully open and be usable...
    If you’re determined to buy a new computer, then that’s fine, but your current “Windows box” with “i5 3.2ghz/8gb/SSD/on board video” should be sufficient. My guess is your computer needs a good cleaning and tuning. My wife’s laptop computer was really slow like yours, so I bought her a new one a couple of months ago. Then I took her old laptop and did a reset on Windows 10, deleted all the bloatware and adjusted the settings to where it’s like a brand new computer. I also added more RAM to get it to 8GB and an SSHD drive, but you should not need more hardware since you already have the SSD and 8GB of RAM..

whats ur budget?

where the dirty money is on a numbered bank account
    @j-bird
    I think Bobcat is absolutely right. I would even go one step further and format the drive and reinstall Windows and then try to delete that pile of crap aka. bloatware on it. Remember to note your product key before formatting if you are on an OEM license.
    "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy because you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -Edward Snowden

Quote Originally Posted by gammagoblin View Post
    @j-bird
    I think Bobcat is absolutely right. I would even go one step further and format the drive and reinstall Windows and then try to delete that pile of crap aka. bloatware on it. Remember to note your product key before formatting if you are on an OEM license.
    My box runs perfect for everything except Serato. I recently did a fresh install of Windows on an SSD a few months ago. And I added little to nothing that runs in the background and could hog resources. Serato Video's totally unusable, I get like 1 frame per minute when I try to play 1080p video. I Googled this, and my options to fix it are 1. get a Mac. Or 2, use Virtual DJ. And the performance hits I'm taking might still be the same if I went out and dropped $3k on a high end PC. Serato's PC port is awful for a bunch of things. And apparently they has no plans to ever do anything to make it any better.

A Serato support person told me "maybe, but good chance no" when I asked if I went and bought a high end video card would that fix my video playback problems. I like VDJ a lot, but for some reason I really like Serato too. So I'm going to have to break down and get a Macbook if I want Serato to run well.

I would look for a 2012 MBP I7 with a 2.9m ghz processor. Change out the hard drive for an SSD, put in 16 gigs of ram, and you are good to go. I just bought a mint one a couple of months ago for $300. I don't know how it runs Serato video, but it can edit and play 4K videos just fine. I use mine for Traktor, and it works perfectly.