Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Riding The Pitch

Riding The Pitch

I've got beat matching sorted now, so now I want to learn how to ride the pitch! (I want to avoid using the jogs all together and eventually get some vinyl) Started practicing yesterday and this is DIFFICULT! hehe

Any advice or tips for this? Feel like im starting all over again lol

Im ready for a new challenge plus it seems really cool. Just trying it today I think it's already improved my awareness of a track being to slow/fast. I've seen a few vinyl djs on YouTube doing it as well

How long have you had beatmatching "sorted"?

You say it helps you know if a record is too fast/slow. You should know that 100% from beatmatching.

So no vinyl. Seems that is the best way to learn beatmatching.

Don't know if your purpose is to bring music to people or be cool. Thoughts?

Of course the only meaning and purpose of djing is to bring music to people. That's what it's all about.

No vinyl at the moment, however I intend to get some in the next couple of weeks. Currently I have a djm 850 mixer
    With 2 xdj 1000s. It's taken lots of hard work but i can now mix comfortably in the last couple of months. I had my first gig last weekend on different equipment and it went fine.

All Im saying is that I have never used vinyl before. However from what I gather (I could be wrong) vinyl djs seem to ride the pitch rather than making adjustments to the record.

So trying It yesterday it feels like a completely different animal. And I feel like it would be good to practise and learn a new technique in preparation for me getting vinyl in a few weeks. Hopefully sooner. Just asking for tips mate. I hope I've explained the reason why I want to learn this technique better
    Last edited by Jambon; 04-28-2019 at 03:15 AM.

Ok, got it.

Vinyl is a completely different thing altogether. It is unforgiving.

I don't think riding the pitch is a technique most vinyl DJs do. I could be wrong, but I have never seen someone just beatmatch without touching the record or vinyl. Someone chime in if I am wrong.

Touching the platter and the vinyl are the things that make that medium so enticing. It is literally "hands on".

If you want to get ready, make sure you 100% know when 2 things are beatmatched.

OK cool. I'll just carry on mixing as usual until I get some and take it from there.

Just out of interest what is the purpose of riding the pitch? Is it just another method for beat matching? For some reason I always thought it specifically related to vinyl (obviously I assumed wrong) lol

No, you didn't assume wrong. All the best DJs I've seen have always been riding the pitch. It makes the adjustments less obvious to hear than when touching the record or platter. It's a good technique to learn if you want to spin vinyl. Check this example of Kenny Dope playing live in Las Vegas.

I stand corrected.
    Last edited by djnotapplicable; 04-28-2019 at 09:00 AM.

No problem

Im finding It really difficult today. I suppose it's just a case of tonnes of practice again and patience? Im finding I can zone it in pretty close but the tiny adjustments I'm struggling with. I'm not re-queing at all is that something your supposed to do? I think this is going to be a tough one to crack!!