Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Old School Vinyl DJs - First Record You Bought

Old School Vinyl DJs - First Record You Bought

I was 13 when I bought my first record. Took the subway from Scarborough to downtown Toronto and went to Sam The Record Man on Yonge St.
    It was 1982 and the record was a 12" single of THE MESSAGE by Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five.

What was yours?
    Unforgiving, unrelenting, unrecoverable double beats!

Once the wife and kid are asleep... the DJ awakens

Peter and the wolf, book edition (actually not kids stuff), I was 3. Still in pristine condition at my dad's house, still have that turntable too.

I grew up right in the disco era, and I had quite a respectable little collection by age 5...

I remember it clearly, breakdancing hit Denmark like a storm and I loved the tune "Hey you the rocksteady crew". My dad often brought home new records to the house as he worked for a music magazine, but to buy this song he took me to the local record shop...

Quote Originally Posted by monkeystyle View Post

^^ haha, futuristic man!

'Pass The Dutchie' by Musical Youth - 1982. I was 10 and it was the 1st time I was allowed to get on the bus and go into town to meet friends for swimming. I went to Woolworth's first and got that on 7". I had a small collection already given to me, (Dusty Springfield, Elvis, The Beatles...Manfred Man?! ect) but that was the 1st one I bought by myself

Public Enemy - It takes a Nation (full album).

I think I bought it at Star Sound or Carnival Records in Toronto way back in 1988. Still have it.
    Ya gotta love corn, it's one of the only foods that says good-bye.

Rep owed: DTR, Pete, KLH, mitchiemasha,

These were the records that I wore out because I played them all the time as a kid.

This beat is just so awesome.

This beat still hits hard.

To this day, I still love the cutting.

Ummm... I wasn't a DJ yet, but I pretended to be on my ancient beltdrive record player. I was stylin'!

Last edited by KLH; 04-25-2019 at 12:36 PM.
    -KLH
    Visit DJF's Beginner's MEGA thread and drop by my Facebook Fan Page.
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...

ordered through the spiderman comic when i was about 8.

spiderman theme with obligatory 80s electro funk beat.

Last edited by pete; 06-02-2019 at 01:14 AM.
    bored, curious, deaf or just bad taste in music?
    finally a mix by me
    and what's this, another shoddy mix...another dull mix

Can’t really say I remember the first record I bought. When I was young, you could go into a store and buy a bundle of 45’s for less than $1. My older brother and I mowed yards and that’s one of the ways we’d spend some of our money. There were usually about six or so records in the pack, but you could only see the ones on the outside... the middle ones were a mystery. Some turned out to be good, and others not so much. We had a blast playing them though, and if they were REALLY bad, we used ‘em for target practice.😄

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My parents had a little collection of records when I was growing up. I can’t clam them...lol When I was getting into djing, we had a few dj record stores close to me. I bought so many at the time. One of them was “The Cotton Club Cotton Wool EP”. Such an awesome time! Memories! Music is so important in my life still to this day. Will produce/dj music to my grave.