Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 24 Hours until my first gig- Anxiety and nerves

24 Hours until my first gig- Anxiety and nerves

My nerves and anxiety are through the roof, semi lost the plot. It's really effected my mixing today. Had a proper melt and couldn't think straight. Dread to think what I'll be like tomorrow. Any tips on dealing with this? Not normally a nervous person but I can't think straight and haven't stopped shaking.

Be prepared. Just get a plan, stick with that & go with it. Get there early & make sure you are ready to go when the time comes.

Is this a club or a mobile gig like a wedding, birthday etc?
    1) Contract, Contract, Contract!

2) Join VIP & support DJF: http://www.djforums.com/forums/payments.php

Thanks for the reply, it's a house/techno night. All organised got my tracks ready. Just absolutely bricking it. Only playing for an hour and it's all I've ever wanted. I still want it. But my nerves have got the better of me

I'm a total mess haha.

We all go through it so try to take some comfort knowing you're not the only one.

My first time playing in front of people i got really nervous and it was for like maybe 15 people and most were close friends lol. But i played a couple of bangers and got a great reception and was hyped up there after. After that night it was game on and always looked forward to playing for a crowd.

I guess the only advice I can offer is maybe play a few surefire hits early on to break the ice and hype yourself up. It may help you get past your anxiety and nerves.

DO NOT drink any coffee; it'll make things 10x worse. I dont know if you're using records or a DVS, but I once drank an espresso before a gig and got a really bad case of the shakes - I had a hard time placing the needle on the records.

I normally don't advise drinking alcohol either, but one might loosen you up a bit. Do not overdo it of course.

Hope this helps.
    Good luck!
    Ya gotta love corn, it's one of the only foods that says good-bye.

Rep owed: DTR, Pete, KLH, mitchiemasha,

As soon as you start enjoying it, the fear goes away because you simply forget about it.

Good luck! I was really freaked out but also so excited to play out for the first time, also because I was producing my own music well before having my first gig. I was worrying about every stupid thing before I even played my first tune. After about 2-3 tunes I got the hang of it and people started cheering me up, and it was smooth sailing after that.
    My soundcloud (deep dubstep, 140 bass productions)

If the venue and/or event allows, start your show early and get those early mixing jitters out of the way before the crowd shows. By the time they get there, you'll be more relaxed and have gotten into a groove.

Cheers everyone. Had a much better practice session last night and a decent night's sleep. Feel more in control today ☺

Here's one thing that works for me: keep hydrated all day, but make sure you don't need the toilet when it's gig time, your nerves might trigger that too. Being fully well hydrated will keep you focused and sharp, it's a little trick that most people overlook.