Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pre-recorded mix: how would you do it?

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Bobcat View Post
    OK... but your original post only said you were looking for ways to record a mix for someone else to use at a party or bar mitzvah. If that’s the case, simply playing the songs on a playlist would likely do the trick, and since YOU would not likely be there, nobody would associate it with you anyway.
    Yeah, you're right. It's just that it suddenly came to my mind that a pre-recorded mix can actually become something very very different from a live session. And since my initial question was an ethical one, I think the fact that it can easily be told apart from a live mixing session makes me more confident on the ethics of selling an edited mix. I don't want to fool anyone. I am not a zealot or anything, but I always ponder if whatever I'm doing is right or not.

Hope I explained myself properly. English is not my 1st language as you probably already noticed.

Pre-recorded mix: how would you do it?

Quote Originally Posted by JosepZ View Post
    Yeah, you're right. It's just that it suddenly came to my mind that a pre-recorded mix can actually become something very very different from a live session. And since my initial question was an ethical one, I think the fact that it can easily be told apart from a live mixing session makes me more confident on the ethics of selling an edited mix. I don't want to fool anyone. I am not a zealot or anything, but I always ponder if whatever I'm doing is right or not.

Hope I explained myself properly. English is not my 1st language as you probably already noticed.
    First of all, your ENGLISH is excellent, so no problem there.😊 Secondly, if it’s an ethical question, rather than a technical question, then my response is much different. If you record a mix and sell it (or even give it) to someone else, it could be a violation of copyright laws here in the US. When we (as DJ’s) perform using copyrighted music, the licenses to play the music are almost always covered by the venue. But if you give someone a mix to play, you don’t necessarily know where it will be used, so you can’t be sure those fees are being paid. I don’t know how the laws work in your country, so I can’t tell you what is lawful, but it would still be unethical in my opinion. I was asked once to provide a CD of mixed music for a wedding, and I declined. I don’t even post my recorded mixes on Soundcloud or any place like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello,

i think, to answer to the general question, the safest way to create a mix is to arrange it. You have a lot of possibilities in a DAW / Sequencer, like Ableton or Mixmeister, to edit the transitions. Personally, I wouldn't call myself a "DJ" in the real sense, rather theoretical mixer, especially because I hate vinyl-crackle in various recordings. Although the final product sounds exactly the same as a mix "recorded" with on-the-fly programs like Traktor, Virtual DJ etc., the way behind it is different:
    If you want to make it sound reasonable, you have to arrange / sequence it in my opinion; there is actually no way around that. I've heard so many mixes, recorded in real time, and only a few have stuck in my mind. One thing is clear: you don't create timeless works like that. It's more of a windy and temporary attention.

Regards
    Gearth
    Last edited by Gearth; 01-12-2020 at 01:08 PM.

I would definitely record it live! Just for practice

Can be done, for sure - but only for practice.
    But however, I don't understand myself on the "live DJing" for various, understandable reasons.

But that doesn't matter, everybody should do what he / she gets along best!
    Mixcloud: https://www.mixcloud.com/Gearth_3000/
    Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/gearth-584928605

Ok, thanks for your reply. But does the average Joe/Jane really care about that? Are they interested enough in how you made the mix so you feel you must at some time pretend to have done it the hard way, or they usually just want to enjoy the music?

My question is just a practical one. Would you choose the editor over the DJing app if you only had the final result in mind?
    Hi, personally, I'd record a straight mix of what I would do if playing live. You said in your OP "suppose you're asked"...'asked' being the operative word. They've asked you; you're passed wondering what they want.
    Also, the 'end result' is more to you than just that one mix; you are showcasing what you can do for future bookings, so it makes sense to stay real with it, and display what you can actually do live.

Quote Originally Posted by djnotapplicable View Post
    ahhh man..
    yeh, where's the freaky bits?!

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Bobcat View Post
    OK... but your original post only said you were looking for ways to record a mix for someone else to use at a party or bar mitzvah. If that’s the case, simply playing the songs on a playlist would likely do the trick, and since YOU would not likely be there, nobody would associate it with you anyway.
    until someone asks 'who's mix is this?' hashtag 'there's always one!'

Quote Originally Posted by Gearth View Post
    Hello,

i think, to answer to the general question, the safest way to create a mix is to arrange it. You have a lot of possibilities in a DAW / Sequencer, like Ableton or Mixmeister, to edit the transitions. Personally, I wouldn't call myself a "DJ" in the real sense, rather theoretical mixer, especially because I hate vinyl-crackle in various recordings. Although the final product sounds exactly the same as a mix "recorded" with on-the-fly programs like Traktor, Virtual DJ etc., the way behind it is different:
    If you want to make it sound reasonable, you have to arrange / sequence it in my opinion; there is actually no way around that. I've heard so many mixes, recorded in real time, and only a few have stuck in my mind. One thing is clear: you don't create timeless works like that. It's more of a windy and temporary attention.

Regards
    Gearth
    yes, I'd say 'it 's safer to arrange it', but it's more vibrant & energetic if you play on the flow.

Suppose you're asked by some client to provide a pre-recorded session/mix for an event; a wedding party, a bar mitzvah, a students' party, whatever... You're getting paid for it but not as much as if it were a live session.
    I believe most DJs would just record a mix and sent it in.

There are many ways to make a mix, but most here would agree that after you've learned how to beat- and phrase- match, there's really no going back to DAWs and DAEs for mixing. DAWs and DAEs are great for edits/remixes of tracks or samples that can be incorporated into a mix - but in the end, it's faster and more fun to just record making a mix.

MixMeister is a different take at mixing. In a similar vein, but using different workflow, Ableton Live is another way to mix. In the end, most crowds or listeners don't really care as long as the mix has music they like and has the energy they want.

Be you and do what you want. There is no spoon.
    -KLH
    Visit DJF's Beginner's MEGA thread and drop by my Facebook Fan Page.
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...