Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Choosing a controller to begin

Choosing a controller to begin

I would like to start learning something about mixing with a DJ controller. I'm searching an entry level controller like ddj-sb3 or ddj-400 (I have that budget "zone"), so i know the choice depends also from the software i would like to use but, considering that i know very little about it, i hope you can help me to choose the best couple of controller/software. Thanks

Start by downloading some software to see what feels natural to you, and don't base any of your decisions on what works with a Pioneer controller because they really don't make a good sounding console under $2k retail, I don't get why this brand is so popular. IMO the $300 Native S2 sounds much better than the $1000 DDJ-SX
    Paul O'Brien
    Old Tech Guy
    www.Techott.com

Quote Originally Posted by conanski View Post
    Start by downloading some software to see what feels natural to you, and don't base any of your decisions on what works with a Pioneer controller because they really don't make a good sounding console under $2k retail, I don't get why this brand is so popular. IMO the $300 Native S2 sounds much better than the $1000 DDJ-SX
    I run a Hercules 4MX and a Numark NS7 the DAC in the hercules sounds better than the Numark and many top teir controllers out there. Unfortunately hercules stop making good sounding controllers and going for flash now.
    QSC GTDaudio B52 Numark NS7 American DJ Hercules 4Mx ACER Behringer Peavey Koss CerwinVega Selenium VDJ= Sweet Music
    Owner DRZ Inc.

Hi,

I started with the PIONEER DDJ-400 PORTABLE 2 CHANNEL REKORDBOX DJ CONTROLLER and used the Rekordbox software. I would strongly recommend this for a beginner.

Quote Originally Posted by DannyElv View Post
    Hi,

I started with the PIONEER DDJ-400 PORTABLE 2 CHANNEL REKORDBOX DJ CONTROLLER and used the Rekordbox software. I would strongly recommend this for a beginner.
    That’s a nice starter controller. Had it been an option when I was starting, I’m pretty sure it would have been a top contender. I started on an American Audio VMS 4.1 with Traktor, and I have no regrets. After trying most of the other DJ apps, I still prefer Traktor. I haven’t tried Rekordbox though, since it only runs with certain Pioneer controllers, but NOT on my DDJ-T1. I still LOVE the VMS 4.1... but have moved on to Denon MC6000MK2’s. Still using Traktor.
    Last edited by DJ Bobcat; 04-14-2019 at 01:22 PM.

I named the two pioneer controller to make an example of the price range, anyway the softwares that feels more familiars (interface etc) to me are virtual dj (i know it isn't so professional), traktor and rekordbox. But the feeling is almost related to the little use in testing them, i suppose to value better using the controller that i will choose. I see the ddj-400 has a lot of positive reviews on the web, what controller could i choose?

Quote Originally Posted by Gdr998 View Post
    ... anyway the softwares that feels more familiars (interface etc) to me are virtual dj (i know it isn't so professional)...
    Not sure why you’d think Virtual DJ “isn’t so professional”???... I used it for a short time when I was having trouble getting Traktor to work with my Denon MC6000MK2, and it worked great right out of the box. It had everything you need to mix live and more. The interface is clean and intuitive. I was eventually able to get Traktor working, but I would have used VDJ without hesitation if I had to.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Bobcat View Post
    Not sure why you’d think Virtual DJ “isn’t so professional”???... I used it for a short time when I was having trouble getting Traktor to work with my Denon MC6000MK2, and it worked great right out of the box. It had everything you need to mix live and more. The interface is clean and intuitive. I was eventually able to get Traktor working, but I would have used VDJ without hesitation if I had to.
    I read on the web that it is good but not at the level of traktor or serato but nice to hear that, it is so intuitive for me. Sorry for my ignorance

Quote Originally Posted by Gdr998 View Post
    I read on the web that it is good but not at the level of traktor or serato but nice to hear that, it is so intuitive for me. Sorry for my ignorance
    Just proves the point that you can’t believe everything you read on the Web (Internet).😄 Of course this forum is on the Internet too, so... But I know VJ’s who swear by VDJ. If you do music videos, Traktor don’t do ‘em.
    Last edited by DJ Bobcat; 04-15-2019 at 10:45 AM.

I know, that's because I'm here to ask about. So for the controller choice could i bet on the ddj-400 or are there more convincing alternatives?