Thread: Getting My first DJ Controller

Getting My first DJ Controller

NOOB ALERT!!

So Iíve been thinking about getting into DJing and making it a career somehow. I find it so fascinating and want to be like one of those guys who works at night clubs and tours around the country and stuff.

I already have an old mixer and some old turntables and am looking into how to hook than all together and stuff, but Iím still pretty new.
    Although I am really a little worried because it all seems so complicated, and Iím not sure if turntables are a really good idea. Like I said, I want to make this my job somehow. If possible

This is why I started looking at DJ controllers. I found this website that compares some of the best DJ controllers, and am starting to consider purchasing the Pioneer DDJ-SB3 reviewed here:

https://djplayit.com/best-dj-controller-reviews/

I simply cannot afford to spend more than $250 on a controller right now, so I thought this one looked good. What do you guys think?

Ideally, what Iím looking for is something that doesnít require too much skill or knowledge for a beginner.

Thank ahead for all the help!

There are quite a few two channel controllers to be had for under $250. All of which would get you started.
    You mentioned your two record players, maybe search for a 4 channel controller, one that you could wire your record players into.

Welcome to DJF, DJStella.

Congratulations on embarking on the journey as a DJ. Check out the Beginner's Mega Thread for quick answers to starting out.

Quote Originally Posted by DJStella View Post
    ... This is why I started looking at DJ controllers. I found this website that compares some of the best DJ controllers, and am starting to consider purchasing the Pioneer DDJ-SB3
    That is a good controller. You'll be fine with it. Since you're looking at controllers, make sure to look at the DJ software before you choose the controller, because some DJ software are focused to specific controllers. Choose the software, then choose the controller that works with it.

Don't get too wrapped up in making the best controller choice because odds are that you'll use whatever you buy for a 6-12 months and then buy another one. Why? After that amount of time, you'll learn essential basic skills and then want something else - usually more expensive gear.

Have fun!
    -KLH
    Visit DJF's Beginner's MEGA thread and drop by my Facebook Fan Page.

Hi, Personally I started with the DDJ 400, which can be picked up new or used around your budget. It's Pioneers newest entry level controller and basically has the same layout as the club standard kit, which makes the eventual transition to the professional gear a lot less daunting.

Good input from KLH and Leslie91.😊 Like KLH said, after learning the basics, youíll eventually want a controller with more features. I used my entry level controller for three years just because I really liked it, and it was reliable. If that Pioneer DDJ-400 had been an option when I bought my first controller, I probably would have purchased one.😊 However, I also really like Traktor, so if I had bought a new DDJ-400 when they first came out, there was likely no Traktor MIDI map for it, which could have been problematic.😊

Looks like I've been overthinking this as well. You guys make a lot of sense. I guess I'll go with DDJ 400 as well and take it from there.