Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any opinions on DJing software Mixxx?

Any opinions on DJing software Mixxx?

Hi everyone.

I'd like to know if any of you people has used open source software Mixxx for DJing and how does it compare to commercial applications.
    I've read plenty of positive reviews online and many compare it favourably against commercial apps like VirtualDJ.
    I am a supporter of free and open source software but that doesn't mean free apps must always be better than commercial ones. I'd like to know what do you guys think about this particular software.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by JosepZ View Post
    Hi everyone.

I'd like to know if any of you people has used open source software Mixxx for DJing and how does it compare to commercial applications.
    I've read plenty of positive reviews online and many compare it favourably against commercial apps like VirtualDJ.
    I am a supporter of free and open source software but that doesn't mean free apps must always be better than commercial ones. I'd like to know what do you guys think about this particular software.

Thanks!
    I haven’t tried Mixxx lately, but I’ve heard that the latest version is pretty nice. Certainly at the least, it might be a way to see if DJing is for you before investing in a commercial software application. When I tried Mixxx several years ago, it would not run on my computer... probably because of the graphics adapter built into my motherboard, or perhaps the driver, but the display was too distorted to be useful. Traktor worked on that same computer with no problems at all.

So that’s kinda the difference between commercial applications and open source... commercial applications developers must build interfaces to as many computers and components as possible. With open source, you get what’s there, and if it doesn’t work you either write the interface yourself, or HOPE someone else will do it for you. That may or may not work out.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Bobcat View Post
    I haven’t tried Mixxx lately, but I’ve heard that the latest version is pretty nice. Certainly at the least, it might be a way to see if DJing is for you before investing in a commercial software application. When I tried Mixxx several years ago, it would not run on my computer... probably because of the graphics adapter built into my motherboard, or perhaps the driver, but the display was too distorted to be useful. Traktor worked on that same computer with no problems at all.

So that’s kinda the difference between commercial applications and open source... commercial applications developers must build interfaces to as many computers and components as possible. With open source, you get what’s there, and if it doesn’t work you either write the interface yourself, or HOPE someone else will do it for you. That may or may not work out.
    Thanks for your reply!
    I honestly have rarely had any problems with open source software, at least on Linux systems like mine. I can't speak for the Windows or macOS versions of those same programs though.

I'll give Mixxx a try.

I haven't used it in years but it does work. It was a bit laggy with the controller I tried with it, which was a Novmeetingation Twitch.. but have to say I was impressed that it supported that controller at all since it is a bit of an oddball controller. I was able to download a community sourced configuration for it and it worked pretty well, so that was cool and is one of the nice things about open source...
    Last edited by light-o-matic; 04-10-2019 at 04:55 PM.

Mixxx has now been around a while. I'm sure it has great features and is stable now. I have not yet used it but I recall Light-O-Matic being a little bit impressed when he tried it.
    -KLH
    Visit DJF's Beginner's MEGA thread and drop by my Facebook Fan Page.
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...

OK... So I decided to try Mixxx and see if I liked it. I had an old Acer Aspire Laptop that I had previously loaded Zorin Linux on, and I installed Mixxx on it this afternoon. Then I copied a folder full of music off my music server to it.

Unfortunately, I had not noticed until I tried to play music on it, that the Zorin install did not recognize the built-in Realtek HD Audio on the laptop. I messed with it for a while, and finally just plugged in a Behringer USB card and, voila... audio!😊 I plugged the output into the front RCA ports on my home stereo, and have been messing around with Mixxx ever since.

I gotta say, it’s not bad. It takes a little time to get used to, though it’s maybe a little tough to see on a 14” laptop screen. Perhaps there’s a way to adjust sizes of fonts and controls that I haven’t come across yet. If I was using this with a controller, it probably wouldn’t be an issue. I might try that tomorrow. As it is, I think I’ll play with it a little more this evening just to see how stable it is. One thing I have noticed; analyzing takes about 3 times longer than Traktor does on my main DJ computer. Not sure if that’s an issue with the computer or the software? A setup like this, used with an RCF EVOX-8 or something similar could make for a nice little wedding ceremony or house party system.
    Last edited by DJ Bobcat; 04-10-2019 at 08:46 PM.

I actually tried it many years ago, but it looked nothing like it does now. The interface was way simpler and bare bones, and looked amateurish, but it seemed to work pretty well. I'll give it another try.

My Zorin laptop ran Mixxx all night in Auto DJ mode, and it’s still going today. This is a good stress test, as it’s analyzing every song in my library before playing it, while playing the previously analyzed song simultaneously. No crashes. Not sure if there have been any blips, since I turned the sound off while we slept last night. I’ll turn it back on though shortly to listen for a while. After all, by my calculations, it won’t finish playing all the songs in the music library for another three days (if I let it continue).😄

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Bobcat View Post
    My Zorin laptop ran Mixxx all night in Auto DJ mode, and it’s still going today. This is a good stress test, as it’s analyzing every song in my library before playing it, while playing the previously analyzed song simultaneously. No crashes. Not sure if there have been any blips, since I turned the sound off while we slept last night. I’ll turn it back on though shortly to listen for a while. After all, by my calculations, it won’t finish playing all the songs in the music library for another three days (if I let it continue).��

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Interesting, I don't remember it having an Auto DJ mode back then. How does it work? It just matches tracks based on tempo?

Quote Originally Posted by JosepZ View Post
    Interesting, I don't remember it having an Auto DJ mode back then. How does it work? It just matches tracks based on tempo?
    Nope... Doesn’t do anything fancy. Just plays one track after another, fading between tracks. It does have a random play option, but otherwise plays the tracks in the playlist order.

You can, of course, arrange (sort) the playlist by BPM and then Auto DJ, but I couldn’t do that because I was letting Mixxx analyze my tracks for the first time as they being played. It was loading, analyzing, playing deck one, then loading and analyzing deck two as deck one was playing.
    Last edited by DJ Bobcat; 04-15-2019 at 08:14 AM.