Thread: Starting to learn again

Starting to learn again

Right! I need a fair bit of advice.. I'm going to start learning to DJ again after a few years. I'm looking at controllers and have been eyeing up the Denon MCX8000 and I'm hearing good feedback about the new engine prime software. Or! Traktor S4 MK3. I had looked at the pioneer XDJ RX2 But it's too much right now.

Hope I can get some feedback that will make me come to an conclusion.

Starting to learn again

Quote Originally Posted by EFlash View Post
    Right! I need a fair bit of advice.. I'm going to start learning to DJ again after a few years. I'm looking at controllers and have been eyeing up the Denon MCX8000 and I'm hearing good feedback about the new engine prime software. Or! Traktor S4 MK3. I had looked at the pioneer XDJ RX2 But it's too much right now.

Hope I can get some feedback that will make me come to an conclusion.
    The Denon MCX8000 and Native Instruments Traktor Kontrol S4 MK3 are both nice controllers... Maybe a little too much for me, and I don’t mean just the price. They’re big and have more features than I need. I’m currently using the Denon MC6000MK2 with Traktor, and I love the controller and the software. I started out with a more entry level controller over four years ago, and switched to the Denon about a year ago. Even the MC6000MK2 has all the features I’ll ever need except that second USB connection (for connecting two computers). I might get the MC7000, but using a controller like the MCX8000 is not something I’m likely to do because I have no intention of using a controller without a computer.

Yeah I get what your saying bud. I like the idea of a standalone feature which is where the denon would be better but I need to fix my laptop as using my PC just seems a little more hassle.

Quote Originally Posted by EFlash View Post
    I'm going to start learning to DJ again after a few years. I'm looking at controllers and have been eyeing up the Denon MCX8000 and I'm hearing good feedback about the new engine prime software.
    I don't have any experience with the XDJ RX2 but I can speak about the MCX8000. The main reason I chose this controller was its capability for standalone mode (laptop not necessary - 2 decks). I love this thing. Great mixer, tons of features and effects built in which multiplies if you choose to use DJ software (Serato, VDJ, etc).
    Fortunately, I haven't had any failures or glitches while using the MCX8000 so far (bought it January, 2018).
    I don't love the ENGINE software it comes with as it tends to be slow in analyzing tracks but now, as you said - ENGINE PRIME is waay better.
    If standalone mode is your primary factor in selecting a controller - I would consider the Denon DJ Prime 4 which can support 4 decks standalone! If I had waited - this is definitely the controller I would get now.
    Unforgiving, unrelenting, unrecoverable double beats!

Once the wife and kid are asleep... the DJ awakens

Quote Originally Posted by BDC View Post
    I don't have any experience with the XDJ RX2 but I can speak about the MCX8000. The main reason I chose this controller was its capability for standalone mode (laptop not necessary - 2 decks). I love this thing. Great mixer, tons of features and effects built in which multiplies if you choose to use DJ software (Serato, VDJ, etc).
    Fortunately, I haven't had any failures or glitches while using the MCX8000 so far (bought it January, 2018).
    I don't love the ENGINE software it comes with as it tends to be slow in analyzing tracks but now, as you said - ENGINE PRIME is waay better.
    If standalone mode is your primary factor in selecting a controller - I would consider the Denon DJ Prime 4 which can support 4 decks standalone! If I had waited - this is definitely the controller I would get now.
    Thanks for that mate. Denon seem to be getting more popular also. Would the prime 4 be too much for a beginner with around 1-2 month experience hahaha. I guess you could say your future proofing yourself in buying one just gotta have a think about spending £1400 odd on one you know.

The Prime 4 is Denon's top of the line controller - they refer to it as a "DJ system". It is reflected in their retail price. That said - it is still less expensive than other controllers that do not have its capabilities.

As for beginner's investing in professional gear - this is something only the individual can answer. I would never encourage nor discourage anybody from doing what they want to do - only the individual can justify that. If you are serious about DJing and have aspirations to go further into the art - then you should be comfortable with whatever gear you choose. Investing anything into something that will sit on the shelf, unused collecting dust - obviously is not ideal.

Given unlimited resource - would you buy a Hennessey Venom F5 if you never have the intention of utilizing its power??
    Unforgiving, unrelenting, unrecoverable double beats!

Once the wife and kid are asleep... the DJ awakens

The Prime 4 does look like some serious bit of kit that isn’t that expensive compared to pioneer. Is it to rival the XDJ RX2?

I’ll go away and consider my options on what I want to do and what I want from it. I’ve always been the person to go and buy a product that isn’t baseline and is higher up in terms of everything. Typical guy I guess haha. I to intend to get a lot of use out of what I decide to buy.

The PIONEER DDJ-400 PORTABLE 2 CHANNEL REKORDBOX DJ CONTROLLER is a great budget controller. I started out with this but upgraded to the Pioneer XDJ-RX2.