Thread: Is there a way to set a master level controller with multiple DJ's?

Is there a way to set a master level controller with multiple DJ's?

Basically in about a month from now I am doing a big party, and me and my buddy are both going to DJ it (I simply plug in his rca out to my 4th channel in so his signal passes through my mixer and then from my mixer it goes out to the speakers). The problem I have is my buddy tends to like to put the volume really high, which i can't do since i have neighbors and they've complained at the last party I've done. I was wondering if theres any way to control the master level going out to the amplifiers? Say if I want the level to not be able to exceed 100 DCB, is there a software or product which can do that? That way no matter how much he lifts his gain or his master output it cant go past 100 dcb? I am just looking for a sure way to control the output level without needing to babysit the sound system all night.
    Let me know if you guys can think of anything that could work!! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Jer View Post
    The problem I have is my buddy tends to like to put the volume really high, which i can't do since i have neighbors and they've complained at the last party I've done. [...]? Say if I want the level to not be able to exceed 100 DCB, is there a software or product which can do that? )
    3 solutions:

2. https://www.alivenetwork.com/blogs/c...ice.asp?id=233

3. (cheaper and safer) The friend does not play.

If you’re willing to add another device into your signal chain, you could consider something like the Behringer's Multiband Dynamics Processor SPL3220. There’s a number of these compressor/limiter devices to choose from. Prices vary, but the Behringer is only around $100.

When I first started DJing, my system had all kinds of bells and whistles... until I realized that the more devices I had in my signal chain, the more likely it was that something could go wrong, and the longer it would take to troubleshoot and resolve. You also have to carry more backup gear (if you care about that).

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Jer View Post
    Is there a way to set a master level controller with multiple DJ's?
    I would use a compact mixer that isn't where the DJ setup be; the compact mixer would be between the DJ setup and the speakers. As it is away from the DJ setup, someone could control the sound going to the speakers - either manually or use a compressor/limiter.
    -KLH
    Visit DJF's Beginner's MEGA thread and drop by my Facebook Fan Page.
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...

The real problem here is that your friend is kind of a major jerk if he keeps playing louder than you want in your own house.

In theory, if your friend sets his controller to run with the meters tickling the reds, and you set your mixer so that the volume coming out of the speakers is the max you want it to be, and you then tell you friend it can't go any louder than that because you will have problems with the neighbors.. then that should be the end of the discussion.. ok maybe you'll have to tell him twice.. but if he keeps pushing it, he's just a dick and not much of a friend. If he's helping YOU on YOUR party then he's gotta be on YOUR team, not just doing whatever the hell he wants. A party that gets interrupted by pissed off neighbors is not a good party, he should care about that as much as you do.

But yea so far as technical solutions, basically it comes down to, you can either do as Bobcat said and use an SPL limiter of some sort.. you can even do it with an ordinary compressor if you set the settings correctly (you want a fast attack and a slow release). I use one which is a commercial model it was probably well over $1000 new (I did not buy it new, I rarely buy anything new).

The hazard with various kinds of compressors/limiters is that if you have them set wrong, they will just compress and compress some more to keep it from getting louder.. when doing that, the dynamic range is greatly decreased which taxes your speakers harder and harder until the voice coils just melt.... The SPL limiter I use is a broadcast model that has specific logic to control level without really reducing the dynamic range.. it's almost like an invisible hand on the volume knob.. it has a very gentle action that just rides the level up and down as needed same as I would if I was standing there. I don't know whether the Behringer model Bobcat mentioned is as careful about dynamic range. Behringer does make some decent compressors (I had a Behringer Composer for a while.. it was great until it broke like all their stuff does). Anyway, it's an option. Anything better would just cost more than this gig is worth. Just make sure that whatever compressor you use, if you use one.. does not indicate gain reduction (there's a meter showing that) hopping up and down on each beat. If you see that, it means you're losing dynamic range, and too much of that can put your speakers in the danger zone.

I broke my first real set of PA speakers doing that at a house party, by the way.. using the aforementioned Behringer Composer compressor that I had then, because I didn't have a slow enough release set.

The other option you have is to use another mixer (which maybe you could borrow.. or buy for as little as $60 or so) between your mixer and the speakers.. connect both your mixer and his controller to this second mixer. Now you can adjust the trim knobs on this second mixer so that, with the levels on his controller set all the way up to "thermonuclear self destruct", he still can't play too loud. Then tape those knobs with a big fat piece of tape and put it under the table. Sure, he won't sound as good, but that's his problem for being a jerk who cares more about himself than about the well-being of the party he's supposed to be helping with.
    Last edited by light-o-matic; 04-01-2019 at 01:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by light-o-matic View Post
    I don't know whether the Behringer model Bobcat mentioned is as careful about dynamic range.
    According to the documentation I read the Behringer Multiband Dynamics Processor SPL3220 should work well without impacting the dynamic range. I’ve never used this device, so I can’t vouch for it myself. There are plenty of other brands that offer similar functionality, usually from $149 up.

Cool there must be some new options since I last looked. Last I checked all the SPL limiters were pretty expensive eg. the Aphex Compellor, Symmetrix (what I'm using.. they don't make it anymore), Formula Sound makes one so does Dateq and I think Ecler has one. On one of my racks I use the built in AGC funtion of the Ashly processor I have in there, which works well, and like I said I have the Symmetrix but what I really want is the Aphex! Can't justify spending the money right now since what I have works. If you come across good reasonable priced options please do post em.