View Poll Results: Do you have skills for both Dj:ing and Producing?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • Dj:ing only

3 33.33%
  • Producing only

1 11.11%
  • Both

5 55.56%

Thread: Who here is a great Dj but sucks at composing/production?

Hybrid View

Who here is a great Dj but sucks at composing/production?

I am more of a composer and producer - my Dj:ing is more like playing and mixing with my midi keyboard and mouse and with Reason. I don't own any real Dj - gear. You?

Quote Originally Posted by Heigen5 View Post
    ... I don't own any real Dj - gear. You?
    Yep... I own thousands of dollars worth of DJ gear. This is a DJ forum, with emphasis on the “DJ”.😄

On this forum, you’ll find everything from beginner DJ’s up to VERY experienced DJ’s. I don’t know if any of us are “GREAT”... I guess that depends on what you mean by great. Personally, I’m not a composer or producer. I don’t “suck” at it ‘cause I don’t do it. I could name hundreds of things I don’t suck at because I don’t do them.😄

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Bobcat View Post
    Yep... I own thousands of dollars worth of DJ gear. This is a DJ forum, with emphasis on the “DJ”.��

On this forum, you’ll find everything from beginner DJ’s up to VERY experienced DJ’s. I don’t know if any of us are “GREAT”... I guess that depends on what you mean by great. Personally, I’m not a composer or producer. I don’t “suck” at it ‘cause I don’t do it. I could name hundreds of things I don’t suck at because I don’t do them.��
    Yeah well, dj'ing can be done within Reason at certain level. I wish my suggestion to the Reason developers will be coded, i.e. a Dj window when pressing F9. I know I'd be good at dj'ing cos I know how to make music.

I know I'd be good at dj'ing cos I know how to make music.
    I’m not sure that’s quite how it works.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
    It's only because features like auto-sync have opened the doors for a bunch of lazy cunts to buy some gear and think they're a DJ a week later that we go round and round in circles with this same topic.

Yeah well, dj'ing can be done within Reason at certain level. I wish my suggestion to the Reason developers will be coded, i.e. a Dj window when pressing F9. I know I'd be good at dj'ing cos I know how to make music.
    It's a bit like saying, I'd be good at driving because I passed the driving licences from Gran Turismo on playstation 3.

I used Reason for quite a few years. It's not designed for DJing, as opposed to software like Ableton Live, or DJing software that is actually designed for that purpose.

Do you have skills for both Dj:ing and Producing?
    Yes.

haha, 3 1/2 years later...

I was a great dj. I'll ascribe that to myself as my resume' backs it up. I tried to transition to a hybrid kind of dj/producer thing but just got old instead. The end.

I always feel that the title of "great" is something that other people should ascribe to you, not something you ascribe to yourself.

when compared to producing, DJing is definitely my strong point but I'm alright at producing remixes and stuff, a lot of the intuition is the same for both, I can put together a song and mix it fairly well, but when i play it out and compare it to mainstream stuff there often seems to be something lacking from mine, doesn't pack the punch that I thought it would, etc.. but it all comes down to experience and what you spend your time focusing on. there are no short cuts if you want to do something well, you have to throw yourself into it completely.
    Last edited by DJ Matt; 01-07-2023 at 06:55 AM.

Good point. That reminds me of some ''DJ'' at a gig. He shoehorned himself in our lineup at the last minute, said he was the ''greatest'' vinyl house dance DJ with the latest records etc. Didn't have any headphones so he had to borrow from someone else, because I refused to let him have mine, as he was wearing a massive fugazi earring. Dude cleared the floor in seconds as soon as he played the first record, and it stayed clear for about 15-20 minutes. Everyone was looking at him from the sitting areas and bar, until he took the hint and left. If you call yourself great, chances are you aren't and I have seen a few like that. The common factor in all of those is that they all had nostrils full of marching powder.
    Last edited by Manu; 01-09-2023 at 10:46 AM.

"Okay. And the best piece of advice George Harrison gave you."

Pausing for a moment, Elton laughed: "Stop putting that marching powder up your nose."

Chris Evans on his Virgin Radio Breakfast Show 2019
    But the number of US Supreme Court judges was always 6.
    Then it was 5, then 6, then 7, then 9, then 10, then 7, and then 9.

Harrison was no angel himself haha *cough cough* . That said both Elton John and the Beatles were great entertainers. I usually give extra kudos to the Beatles for revolutionizing sound engineering techniques and pushing the equipment beyond what it was designed for, paving the way for upgrades suiting their needs and setting new benchmarks.