Thread: Gear advice. Brand new to DJing.

Gear advice. Brand new to DJing.

I’m brand new to djing. I’ve been producing with ableton for years.
    My gear options are.
    Traktor kontrol s4 mk1 with the full version of Traktor and a travel case. $300 cad Or.
    Pioneer DDJ-sr (Serato) no software or case 400. Both used.
    I’ve used both software for a small amount of time. No real preference but with a gun to my head I’d probably say Serato.
    I’ll be playing only hip hop, funk, soul, r&b. For fun.

Would one controller be better in the long run? Maybe one is better for beginners?
    I’m leaning towards the s4 due to the price and extras but I’m open to both.
    Any suggestions would help.

Thanks

The replies to this type of inquiry almost always begin with the same question; What kind of DJ do you want to be?

If you want to be a club DJ, the DDJ-SR would be the better choice. If you want to be a mobile DJ, your choice of controller is essentially irrelevant... purely a personal preference. If you’re not sure what direction you’re gonna take, I’d go with the DDJ-SR.

Traktor is a more flexible system if for example you have an iPad and want to DJ off it you can.. etc. On the other hand, Traktor seems to have a lot of problems.. I'm a sound engineer providing the sound system for DJs at parties and festival so I get called whenever there is a problem at one of these events, a lot of DJs are using Traktor these days, I'd say more than half the controller DJs are using it.. some are (used to be most) using Serato and a growing number using Rekordbox and then of course a bunch playing on CDJ/XDJ (including myself).. but yea when these problems occur it's always Traktor. I can't remember the last time there was a crisis onstage that I had to deal with that was not Traktor. So yea I guess what I'm saying is that sure Traktor is the most popular so it'll have the most instances of problems onstage. But ALL of them?

Quote Originally Posted by light-o-matic View Post
    Traktor is a more flexible system if for example you have an iPad and want to DJ off it you can.. etc. On the other hand, Traktor seems to have a lot of problems.. I'm a sound engineer providing the sound system for DJs at parties and festival so I get called whenever there is a problem at one of these events, a lot of DJs are using Traktor these days, I'd say more than half the controller DJs are using it.. some are (used to be most) using Serato and a growing number using Rekordbox and then of course a bunch playing on CDJ/XDJ (including myself).. but yea when these problems occur it's always Traktor. I can't remember the last time there was a crisis onstage that I had to deal with that was not Traktor. So yea I guess what I'm saying is that sure Traktor is the most popular so it'll have the most instances of problems onstage. But ALL of them?
    I use Traktor. I have for 4 years and I like it quite a lot. I’ve never had any problems with it when performing, but I have had one weird inexplicable glitch with it when practicing at home. That’s why I always try to have some sort of backup system I can run until I can resolve the problem. I’m glad I have not had to resort to using a backup system, but I’m always prepared.

Traktor is a computer program... There isn’t one piece of software of any consequence that doesn’t have bugs, including Serato, VDJ, PCDJ, you-name-it. I’m not questioning your experience, but software problems can and probably do occur with all DJ applications.

I personally started as a beginner with a DDJ-RB, it comes with the full version of RekordBox DJ and you got a lot of features on this turntable. I really recommend this for beginners. But if you really have to chose between the DDJ-SR or the Traktor I would recommend you the Pioneer DDJ-SR.

Thanks for the input. I just rented a ddj-sr. I’m thinking this is the way to go.
    After spending a few hours on Traktor and Serato. I’m realizing I prefer Serato. Looks like a lot of hip hop djs use Serato too.
    Does Serato work better with ableton?

If you are going to use a controller, make sure that you choose the software first. In your case, it's Native Instrument's Traktor versus Serato's DJ.

Once you choose, pull down the software and start analyzing tracks so that the DJ app has all your tracks ready to go when you buy the controller.

Quote Originally Posted by Npl1903 View Post
    Traktor kontrol s4 mk1 with the full version of Traktor
    Quote Originally Posted by light-o-matic View Post
    Traktor is a more flexible system if for example you have an iPad and want to DJ off it you can.. etc.
    Just to clarify, the original (mk1) version of the Traktor Kontrol S4 (and the S2) cannot be used with iOS devices. The Mk2 versions can... and rumor has it that the new Mk3 version will be able to soon with an update.
    Last edited by KLH; 03-31-2019 at 09:15 PM.
    -KLH
    Visit DJF's Beginner's MEGA thread and drop by my Facebook Fan Page.
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...