Thread: QSC k12.2 vs Yamaha DSR112

QSC k12.2 vs Yamaha DSR112

Hello All,

I recently sold my EV ZLX12ps in preparation of upgrading to a smaller setup for DJing. I currently have a larger JBL SRX835p/828 setup.

Based on general internet research, two very popular 12 inch speakers are the QSC K12.2 and Yamaha DSR112. Has anyone heard both? Are there any substantial differences? Should I value one over the other or should I just go with whichever I can get the best price on?

The weight or size of either speaker doesnt matter to me (Although looking for a 12" inch speaker only - intend to pair with 18 inch sub when needed). I'd like to make a decision based on sound quality/output. I've used the KW122 and it sounded good (not great). The K12s I did not like because they did not sound great at all when pushed closer to it's limit.

Thank you for any feedback!

Quote Originally Posted by phunior View Post
    Hello All,

I recently sold my EV ZLX12ps in preparation of upgrading to a smaller setup for DJing. I currently have a larger JBL SRX835p/828 setup.

Based on general internet research, two very popular 12 inch speakers are the QSC K12.2 and Yamaha DSR112. Has anyone heard both? Are there any substantial differences? Should I value one over the other or should I just go with whichever I can get the best price on?

The weight or size of either speaker doesnt matter to me (Although looking for a 12" inch speaker only - intend to pair with 18 inch sub when needed). I'd like to make a decision based on sound quality/output. I've used the KW122 and it sounded good (not great). The K12s I did not like because they did not sound great at all when pushed closer to it's limit.

Thank you for any feedback!

The DSR112s sound much crisper overall and better at high volumes HOWEVER they do not do well stand alone. They MUST be used with subs for most gigs IMO as they simply don't put out much belo 70hz. This is likely due to the size of the box / monitor angle. That said, with a sub (or subs) handling the low end, these boxes are some of the BEST MI boxes you can get IMO. They are very well regarded on Prosoundweb. Have you checked out the new DZR line from Yamaha. I'm waiting to get my hands on some to review, but have read good things. The DZR are actually an upgrade the DSR, so are very serious cabs. On the expensive side, but I imagine their performance is specatcular... As for the K12.2, I've heard them. They do get loud and produce good low end as well, but I am not a fan of their sound at high volumes either. Same thing with the V1s... Another option you might want to explore if you're in Canada is Yorkville'S Elite EF10P. Simply excellent 10" active that are surprising to say the least. Very high quality overall and tremendous bass for a 10" cab.

Al
    Yamaha DXR15s - KX Audio (KV2) KX12s - RCF Art 310As - Yamaha DXR8s - Yamaha DXS12 subs (X2) - Wharfedale Titan 12A - Yamaha MG12/4 - Yorkville PGM8 - Peavey PV10 - Shure cordless - Stanton CD player - Sony Minidisc decks - LED lights - AMDJ dual SD player

Quote Originally Posted by Al Poulin View Post
    The DSR112s sound much crisper overall and better at high volumes HOWEVER they do not do well stand alone. They MUST be used with subs for most gigs IMO as they simply don't put out much belo 70hz. This is likely due to the size of the box / monitor angle. That said, with a sub (or subs) handling the low end, these boxes are some of the BEST MI boxes you can get IMO. They are very well regarded on Prosoundweb. Have you checked out the new DZR line from Yamaha. I'm waiting to get my hands on some to review, but have read good things. The DZR are actually an upgrade the DSR, so are very serious cabs. On the expensive side, but I imagine their performance is specatcular... As for the K12.2, I've heard them. They do get loud and produce good low end as well, but I am not a fan of their sound at high volumes either. Same thing with the V1s... Another option you might want to explore if you're in Canada is Yorkville'S Elite EF10P. Simply excellent 10" active that are surprising to say the least. Very high quality overall and tremendous bass for a 10" cab.

Al
    Hi Al,

Thanks for your reply. I usually like to run subs for any DJ event where I am playing any music so that's good to hear. I have not been able to get much info on the DZR, although they look interesting. I'd imagine they sound comparable to the JBL SRX 800 series.

I think I'll pull the trigger on the DSR112. Seems like a great value for a speaker under $1000.

Best Regards!

This is an almost an apples to oranges comparison, on paper there doesn't seem to be much difference between boxes but in the real world that doesn't pan out. The Yamaha uses a larger than average 1" exit compression driver(2" voice coil) and it also has superior onboard processing.. both of which add up to much better vocal range output. But it's a tiny speaker which is both good and bad... yes it's easy to move but it also has relatively weak low end output so as Al stated subs aren't optional. The box also gets really loud, a typical setup will have a pair of 18" subs under each DSR... just let that sink in for a moment.
    Paul O'Brien
    Old Tech Guy
    www.Techott.com

Quote Originally Posted by conanski View Post
    This is an almost an apples to oranges comparison, on paper there doesn't seem to be much difference between boxes but in the real world that doesn't pan out. The Yamaha uses a larger than average 1" exit compression driver(2" voice coil) and it also has superior onboard processing.. both of which add up to much better vocal range output. But it's a tiny speaker which is both good and bad... yes it's easy to move but it also has relatively weak low end output so as Al stated subs aren't optional. The box also gets really loud, a typical setup will have a pair of 18" subs under each DSR... just let that sink in for a moment.
    Yep, simply the loudest compact active 12" I've tested so far.... 10" winner so far is Yorkville's EF10P. Fantastic new box! Both of these speakers are highly recommended

Al
    Yamaha DXR15s - KX Audio (KV2) KX12s - RCF Art 310As - Yamaha DXR8s - Yamaha DXS12 subs (X2) - Wharfedale Titan 12A - Yamaha MG12/4 - Yorkville PGM8 - Peavey PV10 - Shure cordless - Stanton CD player - Sony Minidisc decks - LED lights - AMDJ dual SD player

Quote Originally Posted by Al Poulin View Post
    Yep, simply the loudest compact active 12" I've tested so far.... 10" winner so far is Yorkville's EF10P. Fantastic new box! Both of these speakers are highly recommended

Al
    I received the DSR112s today and all I can say is WOW!. These can get incredibly loud and sound great. The speakers meet/exceed all of my expectations. I'll most likely pair them with a single JBL SRX828 at events.

I honestly dont think I'll have to use my SRX835s again.

Thanks for all the feedback!

Quote Originally Posted by phunior View Post
    I received the DSR112s today and all I can say is WOW!. These can get incredibly loud and sound great. The speakers meet/exceed all of my expectations. I'll most likely pair them with a single JBL SRX828 at events.

I honestly dont think I'll have to use my SRX835s again.

Thanks for all the feedback!

I was really impressed at the crystal clear top end and power reserves the DSR112s have. They weren't designed for low frequency response in mind, but rather incredible output and clarity. With a sub or two, they are amazing. Enjoy!

Al