Thread: Equipment protection plans?

Equipment protection plans?

Do you career guys buy protection plans with your equipment purchases or do you just make an insurance claim or write off the replacement as a business expense?

I do not normally buy protection plans on anything I buy. But, that's just my personal preference.
    1) Contract, Contract, Contract!

2) Join VIP & support DJF: http://www.djforums.com/forums/payments.php

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Elevate View Post
    Do you career guys buy protection plans with your equipment purchases or do you just make an insurance claim or write off the replacement as a business expense?
    I have purchased the Guitar Center protection plans for some of my PA speakers. Some speaker brands have great warranties and are known to have excellent customer service. Some don’t. The best thing about a GC protection plan is you take the speaker to your local GC store for repairs, and they take it from there. It’s a REAL hassle to ship a subwoofer to the manufacturer, so it’s nice that GC does that if necessary. Now, the fact is; I’ve never had a broken PA speaker, so maybe the protection plans I purchased were a waste. I guess it kinda depends on how you feel about having insurance. I have never filed a claim on my auto insurance either, but I still keep paying the premium.😄

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Bobcat View Post
    I have purchased the Guitar Center protection plans for some of my PA speakers. Some speaker brands have great warranties and are known to have excellent customer service. Some don’t. The best thing about a GC protection plan is you take the speaker to your local GC store for repairs, and they take it from there. It’s a REAL hassle to ship a subwoofer to the manufacturer, so it’s nice that GC does that if necessary. Now, the fact is; I’ve never had a broken PA speaker, so maybe the protection plans I purchased were a waste. I guess it kinda depends on how you feel about having insurance. I have never filed a claim on my auto insurance either, but I still keep paying the premium.

Well I definitely will keep my DJ insurance just in case.... just wonder if something breaks and it's not covered by warranty if DJ insurance would cover it, and if so, should I just not buy protection plans.

Reason this has come to light is I'm reviewing all my purchases for 2018 for tax purposes since I'm turning this hobby into something more legit and holy crap I was irresponsible. ;p So besides other frivolous spending (Thankfully I'm quitting the night club business so I won't need 50 diff genres of music and it will curb my Beatport addiction a bit lol), I'm looking for other ways to prevent myself going far, FAR into the red when I total everything up for the year.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Bobcat View Post
    I have purchased the Guitar Center protection plans for some of my PA speakers. Some speaker brands have great warranties and are known to have excellent customer service. Some don’t. The best thing about a GC protection plan is you take the speaker to your local GC store for repairs, and they take it from there. It’s a REAL hassle to ship a subwoofer to the manufacturer, so it’s nice that GC does that if necessary. Now, the fact is; I’ve never had a broken PA speaker, so maybe the protection plans I purchased were a waste. I guess it kinda depends on how you feel about having insurance. I have never filed a claim on my auto insurance either, but I still keep paying the premium.😄

As former employee and Guitar Center (about 2 years ago) that is not how the insurance works. We will file the claim for you but you need to ship the gear out. A lot of salespeople give the impression that they will take of the the replacement portion but all we do is file the claim.

I don't see why they can't ship it out once you give us the label but I have never seen it done in my years there.
    twitter - @DJRiddim_
    facebook - https://www.facebook.com/DJRiddims?ref=hl
    youtube.com/vibes4321