Thread: Chords

Chords

I have the demo version of FL Studio. I perfectly know how everything works in FL Studio because I followed a lot of tutorials on YT, but now I know much about the DAW I want to try something of my own. My problem is when im trying to make chords it just do not sound well because im putting notes just were i want. I do have to mention that I never had music theorie about notes and so.

Is there anyone who can give me some tips about do's and dont's in making chords.

This would be much appreciated.

With kind regards.

Your Youtube tutorials should teach you about that. Search there.

It takes years to learn, practice and improve on music theory. I would suggest you to start with that basics, learning notes, tempo etc before you even start with chords.

As above, you need to do your own research, internet people are not going to climb the learning curve for you.

My problem is when im trying to make chords it just do not sound well because im putting notes just were i want
    Making chords is not clicking on notes on a piece of software then hoping for the best.

If you really want to get deeper into actually playing music, you need to pick, choose, learn and play an instrument. Ready made recipes to apply and click into Fruity loops (or any other software) do not exist.

Registering yourself in a music school and attending lessons is the better option. It's exactly the same as you don't learn how to make movies because you watched some of them, and have cyberdirector 2.7 in your PC.
    Last edited by Manu; 03-25-2019 at 09:21 AM.

Thanks for the reply!

Chords are easy...
    Press any note, count up 3 semi tones, press that note, count up 4 semi tones (7 in total), press that note. MINOR!
    Press any note, count up 4 semi tones, press that note, count up 3 semi tones (7 in total), press that note. MAJOR!

If you want to invert the same chord, get 1 of the notes you've pressed and pick the same note from an octave lower/higher.

To keep things simple, your bassline will be the bottom note of your chord, lower down... but if you're next different chord is where that note remains the same, jump the bass note to the 2nd note of your chord.

This channel really helped me out. Geared more towards ppl who play the piano but you still get what you need out of it.

https://youtu.be/Ud9CpGOG1GE?t=5471

In Reason there's a dummy solution for chords i.e. Chord Player device, just add it to your instrument and press keys and watch that what keys are pressed down on the vertical pianoroll.

Quote Originally Posted by Heigen5 View Post
    In Reason there's a dummy solution for chords i.e. Chord Player device, just add it to your instrument and press keys and watch that what keys are pressed down on the vertical pianoroll.
    Similar plugin in Live

Cubase has a Chord Adviser, Chord Track and Chord Pad... 1 note key triggers for the chord. The Chord Adviser shows you all the chords ranked in order of flow from previous. I believe the Chord Track will correct your playing when you set it up for your tune, but I haven't used it, a very different approach to composing, for those who do things from a more music theory approach, laying down a chord structure first.