Thread: Idea... DJ Set Up Money Saver!

Idea... DJ Set Up Money Saver!

Remember these... Old bulky tower speakers that nobody longer wants. They're waist height, hand-span width.

I could of fixed or sold them but the driver was an odd size. It was easier to sell the parts that worked than the actual full thing. They've stood half empty besides my TV for many years and I've often pondered what they could be used for. New TV comes tomorrow so I've been shifting them about... Boom! it finally clicked!!!

Moving head podium stands. Screw the speaker to a base plate. If needed, add extra weight inside. The bass port and hole from connector plate can act as a nice cable tidy in/out. The front fabric could hide some internal mood lighting, replaced with company logo'd fabric or both. The wood behind will be easy to cut to whatever shape we require. I may screw these to the floor of my booth.

I had to share the idea. Considering how much those stands cost this could be a huge money saver modification project. A garage isn't complete with out a pair of these stashed at the back of it, they'll be all over the place. Am I mad or does it have potential?

Quote Originally Posted by mitchiemasha View Post
    Moving head podium stands. ...Am I mad or does it have potential?
    Genius! I can't wait to see what these look like at a gig!
    -KLH
    Visit DJF's Beginner's MEGA thread and drop by my Facebook Fan Page.
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...

Make sure you have a strong base, so it doesn't get tipped over at the slightest knock. I think I would pour some concrete in the bottom of it.

The Truss stands nowaday sit on a large square plate, something similar would work (usually Quad Truss). The Tri Stands I used to have were custom made, way back before DJ's had movers, it wasn't a thing yet. Acquired left overs from a convention. The feet were the poles cut off and welded back on, stretching out over... Cut at an angle, rotate, weld. Great for a stage, no good for a booth. Take up too much floor space, can't get them close to the walls. The booth gets manic at times and the feet were a hazard. Finally sold them last year after years unused. I think these are going to be the solution.

If I wasn't screwing to floor, adding the wait, concrete or similar would be a must. Those tristands were super light but they took up almost 2m floor.
    Last edited by mitchiemasha; 03-22-2019 at 07:01 AM.