Thread: Do you need to produce your own music to get gigs?

Do you need to produce your own music to get gigs?

I've recently got back into dj'ing, my aim is to start playing out more as it never really took off for me first time around. My question is, do i now need to produce my own music to earn myself a spot? Is this the way forward fo dj's now?

Quote Originally Posted by djmiracle View Post
    I've recently got back into dj'ing, my aim is to start playing out more as it never really took off for me first time around. My question is, do i now need to produce my own music to earn myself a spot? Is this the way forward fo dj's now?
    No, you don't have to be a producer to get gigs. But if you really want to become a bigger name, yes, then it's pretty much what you have to do.

Cheers,

I really want to beome a bigger name, i play dnb and i've been following Annix, they have done extremely well and it's from them i've got my inspiration from

No... You need to be a crazy lunatic and have shit loads of friends... Or be respected by people who happen to run what ever scene in the bigger cities closer to you.

Even if you go the production route, you have to be exceptionally talented to get noticed, to have something special the other producers want in on. The other option is MONEY, lots of money, and you can pay for tracks, studio time with people already talented. If you gel, that might get you in their circles. You'd need to learn exceptionally quick and be bringing something powerful to the table to keep them interested in you.

It's all or nothing and they will take everything you've got. On the slight chance you've got something left... that's when you'll make it.

Quote Originally Posted by djmiracle View Post
    I'd say it definitely helps. You just need one track that gets a bit of love, and you're getting booked for at least a season. Otherwise, get a successful clubnight going. Doing both is best for potentially bigger success.

I would say yes. At first, I would create dj edits. Then produce original stuff. Give out your edits to local and other dj’s In hopes they will play it out.