Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking to start to Dj, need help choosing turntables

Looking to start to Dj, need help choosing turntables

Hi there, I have been into my music for years and been around many friends who DJ but never got into actually DJing myself. Now I have my own place and some spare time I want to start and would prefer to start off with Vinyl and learn from scratch using just my ears and no software or computers etc. Just a set of turntables and a mixer.

Can anyone recommend and good set up for a beginner and also something not too exspensive.... I’m looking around the £600 mark max. I have come across a couple but not sure on them... any advice would be greatly appreciated. The ones I have been looking at are;

Pioneer PLX-500 K Turntable + Numark M101 USB

Reloop 2x RP-4000M turntable + RMX-22 DJ mixer

Another turntable I came across was the Audio-Technica AT-LP120-USB Direct-Drive Professional Turntable.

If anyone could advise on the above mentioned or even if you have any of your own recommendations that would be great.

Thanks

Matt

All three turntables are actually the same. Built from manufacturer Hanpin, they are called OEM turntables. Reloop, Pioneer, Audio Technica order them there and just put their own logo on it and maybe add one or another feature. But motor, tonearm, pitch etc. is all the same.
    They have a pretty weak motor, low torque, tonearm is a bit flimsy and all in all are not that sturdy and professional.

Then there are the "super OEM" turntables, also made by hanpin and also distributed by different companies with their own logo stamp. But these are way better than the "normal" OEM, they have a better, Technics-like motor, more dampening, more weight and a sturdy casing.
    I would recommend looking at them. e.g. Reloop 7000, Reloop 6000, Pioneer PLX 1000, Omnitronic 5250 or 5220, SYNQ XTRM, Audio Technica 1240, Mixars STA, Stanton 150. They cost a bit more (but the Omnitronic or SYNQ can be found for around 300€ each), but you get a really good turntable that will last longer and you will have more fun on them.

Mixer: I would go for the RMX22, when it comes to choosing between your suggestions. I owned the RMX80, which is kind of the same architecture just with more channels and more effects. But i guess the internal sound processing, EQs, Fader etc. are the same. The RMX80 had a good sound and was a decent mixer all in all.

The Numark only has 2 band EQs (HI and LOW), which is not really good for mixing smoothly

But for the price of the RMX22 i would suggest getting an Allen Heath Xone 23. Superb sound and built quality!
    Last edited by CarlNapp; 03-15-2019 at 05:34 AM.

here you can get a set of two omnitronic 5220 for 630€, no shipping fees to the uk

https://www.recordcase.de/omnitronic...ber=0050110023

i ordered mine there as well a few years ago

Moved to turntables
    Ya gotta love corn, it's one of the only foods that says good-bye.

Rep owed: DTR, Pete, KLH, mitchiemasha,

Not much to go bad on a record player so I would recommend buying used turntables in excellent condition from a brick & mortar store preferably with a 30-day money back guarantee.

Technics SL-1200 series
    Super OEM
    Numark TT500, TTX, or TTXUSB
    But the number of US Supreme Court judges was always 6.
    Then it was 5, then 6, then 7, then 9, then 10, then 7, and then 9.

Thanks for all of your input. I have been looking at a lot of reviews and most people say that if you can afford Technics then to save up and go for them? Would you all agree?

I’m assuming that second hand Technics are just as good as new if looked after and they appear to hold their value?

If this is the case then I think this is what I may do as I don’t want to buy a cheap set and then in the future decide to upgrade... rather buy right but once.

If you can save up for a pair of Technics, go for them. But make sure you get some in good condition (no club abuse etc.). I don't know how much you pay in the UK but here in Germany a good pair of Technics is around 500€ to 600€ each.

If that is too much I would suggest getting one of the super OEMs I mentioned. You can't go wrong with them either.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt51091 View Post
    I’m assuming that second hand Technics are just as good as new
    That depends on the consumer. In my opinion, they are an outdated product lacking in features and torque. But for most people, they are the Apple of turntables and are worth paying extra for them.

Technics SL-1200MK7 $1,000
    https://www.guitarcenter.com/Technic...J-Turntable.gc

Reloop RP-8000 MK2 $700
    https://www.guitarcenter.com/Reloop/...J-Turntable.gc

Thanks for everyone’s advice, I went for a pair of 1210s in the end and got a Behringer VMX 300 thrown in with the deal to get started with. I will at some point upgrade this.

I have a pair of Ortofon concords on the way and now just really to decide on what speakers.... I have about £150 left for speakers so any advice would be greatly appreciated.... I am steering more towards powered speakers as they come with amps built in.

At some point I would like to upgrade the speakers but for now I want to get set up and started and the best I can get £150 will do

Quote Originally Posted by Matt51091 View Post
    Thanks for everyone’s advice, I went for a pair of 1210s in the end and got a Behringer VMX 300 thrown in with the deal to get started with. I will at some point upgrade this.

I have a pair of Ortofon concords on the way and now just really to decide on what speakers.... I have about £150 left for speakers so any advice would be greatly appreciated.... I am steering more towards powered speakers as they come with amps built in.

At some point I would like to upgrade the speakers but for now I want to get set up and started and the best I can get £150 will do
    With such a small budget I would buy a boombox or 2.1 computer speakers. Or look for used active (powered) studio monitors like an old pair of KRK Rokit 103 monitors.

If you want to play out or throw a house party rent a sound system for the night.