Thread: Process of producing remixes.

Process of producing remixes.

Question to experience producers, I'm interested in the process of making remixes.

How the process work, lets say if someone wants to do a remix of some popular track do you need to:

1. Aquire the project file and therefore always contact the original producer and purchase the rights?
    2. If the above is true, can the owner refuse? Common sense say yes but how to have more chances for success?
    3. Anyway to predict the price of such a purchase?
    4. Is it legal to do remix without original project file just with original purchased track?
    5. Are there any examples of popular remixes done without a project file?
    6. Are there other things to consider?

Thanks

what do you mean by project files exactly?

If you want it legal, you’ll have to get the mix down files from the original artist. But, I’ve done edits before with just grabbing different elements from a song. I would find different versions of the song and cut each version to grab the sounds and loops I wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by farhanashraf View Post
    Most likely he’s talking about when you bounce down each sound.

^ ok thanks

Quote Originally Posted by farhanashraf View Post
    I mean when you get access to all the original sounds used in the track, get i.e ableton project etc..

Ah you mean the stems.

1. Aquire the project file and therefore always contact the original producer and purchase the rights?
    2. If the above is true, can the owner refuse? Common sense say yes but how to have more chances for success?
    3. Anyway to predict the price of such a purchase?
    4. Is it legal to do remix without original project file just with original purchased track?
    5. Are there any examples of popular remixes done without a project file?
    6. Are there other things to consider?
    1. Yes, unless the material is released under creative commons.
    2. yes, the owner can refuse to give anything. I had some success after asking nicely and explaining what I was doing, and why I was doing it.
    3. not really
    4. there is no reason why not, as long as you're not selling it, or have permission to sell it
    5. Overdubs, mashups etc. Look at hip hop history, they pretty much all sampled James Brown and the Amen break back in the day.

6. It's a creative process, you'll need either some planning thinking, and/or on the spot creativity to get the remix somewhere. It's always hard to remix anything because of people's expectations, to hear something as good, if not better. And an audience will expect no less.

I'm going to brag a little and throw a little remix of mine. Did it because I could not find a remix that did not make me cringe. This is a radio edit, I keep the fully finished, extended version in my vault for gig bragging purposes

I had to go, find and resample all of what I needed to get it out of my head, then I started remixing the thing when I had all the elements. It did take me ages to gather all of what I needed, but it was worth it. Everything but the drums and percussion, which I made from scratch.

Original below:

Last edited by Manu; 03-15-2019 at 02:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Manu View Post
    Ah you mean the stems.

1. Yes, unless the material is released under creative commons.
    2. yes, the owner can refuse to give anything. I had some success after asking nicely and explaining what I was doing, and why I was doing it.
    3. not really
    4. there is no reason why not, as long as you're not selling it, or have permission to sell it
    5. Overdubs, mashups etc. Look at hip hop history, they pretty much all sampled James Brown and the Amen break back in the day.

6. It's a creative process, you'll need either some planning thinking, and/or on the spot creativity to get the remix somewhere. It's always hard to remix anything because of people's expectations, to hear something as good, if not better. And an audience will expect no less.

I'm going to brag a little and throw a little remix of mine. Did it because I could not find a remix that did not make me cringe. This is a radio edit, I keep the fully finished, extended version in my vault for gig bragging purposes

I had to go, find and resample all of what I needed to get it out of my head, then I started remixing the thing when I had all the elements. It did take me ages to gather all of what I needed, but it was worth it. Everything but the drums and percussion, which I made from scratch.

Original below:

@Manu thanks for the thorough answer!

If it comes to your remix my impressions are great! First of all I have never heard the original track before and its not really my genre but I do appreciate this quality track and talent within. What strikes me with your remix is a little higher BPM which I really like about it, I think it's a great fit for it. With all your work you did, remastering is really standing up as well(even though the original track is just fair YT quality). As an outsider not knowing any history of the original track I definitely enjoy your production much better, it's just sound to me more interesting and more up to date in general, all the transitions are supper smooth!

Great job man!

Hey thanks. I hope it gives you a little guidance....