Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Different DAWs tend to add a little bit of their own sound ???

Different DAWs tend to add a little bit of their own sound ???

Am i trippin or ableton export mix have a unique sound to it? Ive worked in cubase and logic, and there seems to be a noticable difference in sound texture... or my ears are messin with me

Welcome to DJF, Trifun!

Every DAW has a different way of mixing digital audio - especially with applying EQ. None are exactly alike, so you will hear slight variations when digital audio is processed through each of them.
    -KLH
    Visit DJF's Beginner's MEGA thread and drop by my Facebook Fan Page.
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...

Early versions of DAWs used to have their own quirks but these days the differences in sound and features are minor.

• Import a loop into all the DAWs you have
    • Do NOT add any plugins
    • Bounce down the tracks
    • Name the tracks as each DAW they come from
    • Go to a friends and get them to play them to you so you dont know which is which
    • See if you can tell which is which.

thread moved to production

A DAW itself is not considered to have it's own sound. It should be neutral. However... Each DAWS own plugins will result in different end results. Too which would sound better would be purely subjective, impossible to pin down, mainly limited by the users skill.

Quote Originally Posted by Tobias Enstrom View Post
    • Do NOT add any plugins
    • Bounce down the tracks
    • Go to a friends and get them to play them to you so you dont know which is which
    If they are all handled at the same sample rate, bit rate, normalized and length, they should all cancel out to each other when the phase is reversed.

It could be just me but some DAW's in fact sound different (edit : especially in the high frequencies)

I think it could have something to do with the way the audio engine is programmed... codec side stuff is user-dependent.

EDIT : I think the biggest differences in audio software are the timestretch algorithms (regarding quality)

Quote Originally Posted by Tobias Enstrom View Post
    • Do NOT add any plugins
    • Bounce down the tracks
    I actually tried this with Reason and Live a few years ago. Always thought Reason added a bit of warmth to my tracks. I preferred the sound I got out of it compared to Live but found it too difficult to use - never used hardware so all was new to me. Live was much easy to wrap my head around.

Thought about giving it another go recently but I have too much time invested in Live already.

I use Reason as a plugin, I do think it sounds muddy on it's own. I agree it can be fiddly at times, it doesn't suit my work flow when I'm building drums up.