Thread: Al's Yorkville YX15P active speaker review 2019

Al's Yorkville YX15P active speaker review 2019

Hey guys,

Just a quick review of one of the better beginner active speakers I've always felt deserved more love : Yorkville's YX15P. I owned a set of these for many years and always liked their look, build quality and well balanced sound - and they never let me down. I would often combine them with my LS700P at the time and it made a great looking "stack" for the smaller pub gigs I did back then. Although their price has gone up since then, you can sometimes find them on special. For example, they were 479$ canadian a piece just before Christmas. The 2 year Yorkville"even if you break it" warranty is certainly a great thing for beginner DJs and bands and makes them an even better value / investment. Most people will not give them a second look because of the 200 watt rating, but I would much rather purchase these than a set of Thump 12As for example. While the Thumps may get a little louder and go a little lower, they quite simply don't sound as good and as natural as the YX15Ps and the build quality and Yorkville name means you won't be SOL should a speaker fail.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjVZCXUfzLU

Al
    Yamaha DXR15s - KX Audio (KV2) KX12s - RCF Art 310As - Yamaha DXR8s - Yamaha DXS12 subs (X2) - Wharfedale Titan 12A - Yamaha MG12/4 - Yorkville PGM8 - Peavey PV10 - Shure cordless - Stanton CD player - Sony Minidisc decks - LED lights - AMDJ dual SD player

Hey Al
    I have always respected your input on powered speakers so thank you.
    I did want to ask you a question though. How would you rate these versus the ZLX 15P or what I currently have the RCF ART312-MK2

Quote Originally Posted by djfaceatl View Post
    Hey Al
    I have always respected your input on powered speakers so thank you.
    I did want to ask you a question though. How would you rate these versus the ZLX 15P or what I currently have the RCF ART312-MK2
    They're both going to get a little louder than the YX15P and I know the RCF is a better speaker overall - transducer wise and sound quality wise too. It's an RCF (I have the 310As and they're fantastic). the YX15Ps are better looking however / cleaner for a wedding for example. Bass wise, the YX15Ps will give a little more deep bass as the 312As' response quickly roll off below 70hz (as with the 310As. They are thumpy though!

As for the ZlX15P, I haven't tested it, but my guess is it will get a little louder and go slightly deeper, but I've read of many folks not quite happy with the sound/output of the Zlx line, so not too sure.

To me, the Yorkville YX15P is simply a good reliable active that gets loud enough for many applications, sounds well balanced (and good even at its limits), is reliable, is made of wood, and comes with an "even if you break it 2 year warranty". I wish it was a little cheaper as the price has gone up through the years, but it still remains a very good active IMO, especially for beginners. I would choose it over a Mackie Thump any day.

Al
    Yamaha DXR15s - KX Audio (KV2) KX12s - RCF Art 310As - Yamaha DXR8s - Yamaha DXS12 subs (X2) - Wharfedale Titan 12A - Yamaha MG12/4 - Yorkville PGM8 - Peavey PV10 - Shure cordless - Stanton CD player - Sony Minidisc decks - LED lights - AMDJ dual SD player