Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yamaha DXR15 for home use

Yamaha DXR15 for home use

Greetings,

I am new here and have a question in regards to Yamaha DXR15 speakers that I am thinking about getting a pair for home use / karaoke/movies duties. I like big bold sound though most of the times, I will play them at lower volume but will crank them up when I have people over for Karaoke, movies etc... They will reside in 30 feet wide by 20 feet living room with 20 feet ceiling. I am planning to use them without subwoofer and don't have an interest to use smaller speakers over subwoofers. Are these overkill for home use and should I get smaller speakers like DXR12, or DXR10 or less expensive DBR15 model (which will save me $400 for the pair). As mentioned, I like big bold sound with strong bass but most often will play at low level. They will be connected to a Yamaha MGP12X mixer that I've already had. Thank you in advance.

Yamaha DXR15 for home use

Quote Originally Posted by late9sound View Post
    ... in regards to Yamaha DXR15 speakers that I am thinking about getting a pair for home use / karaoke/movies duties. Are these overkill for home use...?
    In one word... YES!!!😄

I’m a DJ and have/had plenty of speakers I could use in my home if I wanted to, but frankly, it’s not worth the effort and really isn’t necessary. First of all, I have good home stereo speakers, so no need for using powered PA speakers in my home.

As for getting smaller speakers like DXR12, or DXR10 or less expensive DBR15’s, that might make just a little more sense, but still probably overkill for the space you described.

I have a pair of DBR12's that I use in venues for up to 200 - 250 people.
    1) Contract, Contract, Contract!

2) Join VIP & support DJF: http://www.djforums.com/forums/payments.php

Do your 12"s give you satisfy bass and full sound at low volume. I used to have Altec Voice of the theatre (huge cabinets) and used to their big bold sound.
    Thank you much for your quick replied.

If you want the big, bold bass like you get at a theater, it wont... obviously. I have to say that the low end was surprising when I first heard them. I'll also add that I dont use subs but, I am an old school DJ that plays 50's to current Pop & a little hip Hop... and occasional few Rap. So, I don't require a lot of thump like some do who play more modern, progressive music. But for me & my clients, the bass is sufficient.

I think I'd go to the music shop & see if the offer sampling so you can hear the difference. But, I think you'll be surprised at the DBR12's. Or you could step up to the DBR15's.

I own a pair of DXR15s. I have never considered using them as my primary home speakers for music or movies. WAY OVERKILL.

The speakers you referenced are meant to "throw" sound. If primarily, the speakers would be played at low levels, then this undermines its potential.
    Like a fast car that never goes over 50km.

If you are firm with your choices, then the DBR10 would be the more rational decision - still overkill - but at least you won't be disappointed if you decide to crank it.
    Unforgiving, unrelenting, unrecoverable double beats!

Once the wife and kid are asleep... the DJ awakens

Just to be clear as for my posts, I agree with others, even what you're calling lower models, the DBR12 are no where near the correct speakers for your application. When I mentioned that I use mine for up to 200+ people max, it was to show you just how much speaker we're talking about here. You dont need this much volume, you need to be focused on sound quality at $1000 - $1500. The volume, needs to be a secondary issue. Any speaker in the $1250 range, will give you more volume than you'll ever need in a living room of a residential home.

Quote Originally Posted by late9sound View Post
    I am planning to use them without subwoofer and don't have an interest to use smaller speakers over subwoofers.
    That makes no sense, DXR15's don't produce any low bass. If all you listen to is 70's or older music they would be fine but for movies and any current music genres you NEED a sub, a pair of DXR8's with a DXS12 sub would make you much happier. For the record I own a pair of DXR15s.
    Paul O'Brien
    Old Tech Guy
    www.Techott.com

Thank you all for your insight. I will pay a visit to Guitar Center and check out various models then decide.

Hope it works out for you. Good luck.