Thread: what should a wedding DJ contract include?

what should a wedding DJ contract include?

been asked to send a contract to a client whos wedding im DJing soon

honestly i never used contracts before, and everything has been fine.
    but i need to do one now.

can someone advise me as to what it needs to look like or have in it?

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Matt View Post
    been asked to send a contract to a client whos wedding im DJing soon

honestly i never used contracts before, and everything has been fine.
    but i need to do one now.

can someone advise me as to what it needs to look like or have in it?

thanks
    It may be a little different in Ireland than in the USA, but a contract is merely an agreement between you and your client, which is agreed to by both parties. IMO, you REALLY should have a contract every time you book a gig... for your protection, but also for the client's.

Dates, times, locations should be included for sure, as well as the agreed to payments and dates. I include a section on types of acceptable and unacceptable music. I also put some clauses in mine to ensure my safety and the safety of the guests.

If the client specifies other options (uplighting, second room system/speakers, number of mics provided, etc.), that should be in the contract along with the basic setup you will provide (in general terms).

My contract has been reviewed by an attorney, but I often change it to accommodate the wishes of my clients; after all, they are contracting ME, I'm not contracting (hiring) them. I merely provide a contract form as a convenience to them so they don't have to write a contract. There are plenty of sample DJ contracts you can find online. Good luck to you.

As thorough as I am, my mobile contract is 4 pages & I'd say that 90 - 95% of my clients appreciate it. There are some who just want a date, time, location & price. Simply, 2 lines & they call that a contract. I will not do business that way. If they dont want to spend an hour to discuss the contract & ask question for clarity, I'll decline the gig.

Here's what I did, I sat down & went through what I do, what I wont do, what services I provide & dont provide & wrote those things down (notes). Then I sat down & asked my self what I, as a consumer would want from a DJ in terms of promises/grantees etc. Just put the shoe on the other foot so-to-speak.
    I made notes on what things I provide & left blanks to fill in that the client wants etc.

My first complete page is specifically for this clients event.

My other three pages are for general contract stuff.

As time went along, I made notes of what questions that every client asked me & incorporated those questions into a paragraph, not as a question, but what I do or provide for that question/situation.

Things like:
    Do we need to provide you with a table, chairs, table clothes etc? If I need it, I bring it. The client doesn't provide anything related to my services except electricity, unless its outside etc & I bring a portable generator for an extra fee. In short, I just write a paragraph related to this question... what I promise the client.

What happens if the client cancels? What happens if I cancel?

I occasionally have a client ask what I will wear. I have three options:
    Polo/Golf shirt with my logo on it.
    Coat & tie
    Something extra like a tuxedo
    and list if there is a fee for that or not. Yes, I charge a fee if I have to wear anything besides my standard attire. If its a tux, client pays for the tux, a fitting & pick-up/return fee etc, etc. I've never worn a coat & tie or tux to an event in 17 years.

I do not play any events outdoors. Paragraph.

I will not play in venues where there is no elevator. I will not climb flights of stairs to basements or elevated stories, etc, etc.

My policy on music. Music planner forms, contract, event contact sheet (all paperwork), payments etc, etc.

What time I'll show up etc.

These are just some of the things in my contract. These are things that are my policies, what I expect of the client & what the client should expect from me. My promises & guarantees etc, etc.

All these things should be based on YOUR policy's & how you run your business. Its a guideline to your business. A contract between you & your client.

I REQUIRE a face to face meeting to go over every line of the contract & discuss it. If the client is out of state for example & its impossible for us to meet, I NEVER send a contract to the client until I have a confirmation that they are using my services & a date & time set for a meeting. At the time of the meeting, I send the contract to the client via email while I have them on the phone at the time of the meeting. Then we go over it.... on the phone. (Unless its a repeat client & is familiar with my policies & services)

You need to take a look at YOUR business model, your policies & put your contract together based on that.

Once you get your contract completed, take it to a contract attorney & let him write it as a legal contract. Otherwise, its just a piece of paper with some scribble on it. Most attorneys will charge $100+ to do this.
    1) Contract, Contract, Contract!

2) Join VIP & support DJF: http://www.djforums.com/forums/payments.php

thankyou guys.

so do we all have to sign it?

problem is they are in a different country. I wont see them until the day of the wedding

Scan it as a PDF, attach it to an email & give them a deadline to get it back to you with a payment.
    Once you get it back, you sign it & again, scan it & email them the signed copy.

Personally, I NEVER sign a blank copy & send it to them. They can keep it, cancel the event, then sue you for not showing up, with a signed contract from you. Just sayin'.......

Agree with all the suggestions here. I would add that you mention something along the lines of "Tips are welcomed if you are happy with the service received." Some clients don't realize that they can tip the DJ.
    Check out the Virtual Party Pack - Icebreaker and game ideas for your virtual events

Quote Originally Posted by djeternal View Post
    Agree with all the suggestions here. I would add that you mention something along the lines of "Tips are welcomed if you are happy with the service received." Some clients don't realize that they can tip the DJ.
    Damn I wish we got tips here. Would be nice.

Another thing to add in the contract is what the plan of action is incase of extreme illness, emergency etc. Personally I've never had to use this clause but it's peace of mind if this is spelled out in the contract. My contract basically says "In the rare event of extreme illness, emergency, riot etc all reasonable efforts will be made to find a replacement DJ at the same price".
    Perth DJ Hire For Wedding and Events www.herodjs.com.au/

Everyone can decide whats best for their own business & I know some people do offer to find another DJ but, my policy outlined in my contract says I will return all the clients money except $100 (for time & paperwork like music planner etc for the next DJ to utilize), I provide numbers for DJs in our area & let the client interview DJs & choose the one that they feel works best for them. At that time, my contract becomes void.