Thread: Some questions before I start tagging my tracks

Question Some questions before I start tagging my tracks

Hi all !

i am about to change the way I am organizing my music by tagging my tracks.

The main idea is not to rely on my Traktor playlists but to tag directly my files so I can filter them properly (and create smartplaylists) no mater of the software/hardware Iíll use in the future

But as it will be a time consuming task I would like to ask you a couple of questions to be sure to make things right :
    • which field to use ? I am planning to put all my tag in the comment field as Iíve read that some field are not always supported (stars field, grouping field, colorsÖ) So I guess this is a safe option. But if you have recommendations on that Iíd be happy to read them
    • am I really altering the file by doing so ? Or is the information stored in some database ? Like if open a tagged file on another computer, in Windows or Linux OS will the tag remain ?
    • using bracket, separators, or nothing ? In some articles I read itís recommended to write ď[tag1] [tag2]ď but I donít really get why ďtag1 tag2ď wouldnít be enough or ď$tag1 $tag2ď
    • character to avoid ? I havenít seen anything like that but is there some characters that should not be used to tag tracks
    • tagging WAV file ? From what Iíve read itís is unclear if WAV file can be tagged. Should I turn them into FLAC or if iím using the comment field only it should be fine with WAV files ?

Sorry for the long post and thanks for those who will read it !

Some questions before I start tagging my tracks

Quote Originally Posted by ma_r View Post
    Hi all !

i am about to change the way I am organizing my music by tagging my tracks.

The main idea is not to rely on my Traktor playlists but to tag directly my files so I can filter them properly (and create smartplaylists) no mater of the software/hardware Iíll use in the future

But as it will be a time consuming task I would like to ask you a couple of questions to be sure to make things right :
    • which field to use ? I am planning to put all my tag in the comment field as Iíve read that some field are not always supported (stars field, grouping field, colorsÖ) So I guess this is a safe option. But if you have recommendations on that Iíd be happy to read them
    • am I really altering the file by doing so ? Or is the information stored in some database ? Like if open a tagged file on another computer, in Windows or Linux OS will the tag remain ?
    • using bracket, separators, or nothing ? In some articles I read itís recommended to write ď[tag1] [tag2]ď but I donít really get why ďtag1 tag2ď wouldnít be enough or ď$tag1 $tag2ď
    • character to avoid ? I havenít seen anything like that but is there some characters that should not be used to tag tracks
    • tagging WAV file ? From what Iíve read itís is unclear if WAV file can be tagged. Should I turn them into FLAC or if iím using the comment field only it should be fine with WAV files ?

Sorry for the long post and thanks for those who will read it !
    Not sure I can answer all your questions, but I can answer some.

WAV files... have NO tags.
    Special Characters in ID3 tags... Iím not aware of any limitations.
    MP3 (ID3) tags are metadata stored WITHIN the .mp3 file.
    As for some ID3 tags not being supported... thatís a software issue. If you tag the file with a good ID3 tag editor, your info is gonna be in there. If the software doesnít read/show/use all the tags, get a more up-to-date application.
    FLAC files... higher quality than MP3, but take much more storage space... think WAV with tags.

I use Traktor too, and I use the playlists a lot, but all my files are tagged. I donít use the comments at all, but I use genre, year released, and rating mostly to organize. You donít HAVE to use the common genres though. You can make up your own. I have genres like; ď60ís Rock - DanceĒ, or ďInstrumental - UpbeatĒ. Pretty much any app will allow you to view and sort by genre, but not all will sort on the comments.
    Last edited by DJ Bobcat; 03-11-2019 at 10:00 AM.

Check out Mixed In Key, Platinum Notes, MP3Tag and Advanced Renamer.

I use those to get me started and then I put the tracks into smart playlists.

Thanks a lot for your answer DJ Bobcat and djnotapplicable !

Now, I'll just have to convert my WAV into Flac and tag the whole library. Let's go

Quote Originally Posted by djnotapplicable View Post
    Check out Mixed In Key, Platinum Notes...
    Do you have first-hand experience with this application??? Iím interested to know if itís worth buying?

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Bobcat View Post
    Do you have first-hand experience with this application??? I’m interested to know if it’s worth buying?
    Yea.

They are very good. I have been using them for about 2 years now.

Cue points, bpm, key - Mixed in Key

Correct volume to a base level for all tracks - Platinum Notes

I got the package deal. It comes with some other stuff like a program for making mashups, but I only use the 2 above.

I really cannot recommend them enough.

Hi again,

after changing my .wav into .flac I had the surprise to realize that FLAC is not supported by I-tunes... So from what I've researched it seems that there is only half satisfying options :
    • .wav : no tags --> no smart playlist
    • .flac : not supporte by iTunes --> no smart playlist
    • .alac : not supported by Traktor --> no smart playlist
    • .mp3 or m4a : lossy compression

I guess there might be a better way to do but I don't see which one. Would some of you have a suggestion ?