Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thinking about a new laptop

Thinking about a new laptop

I'm thinking about a new PC laptop for running Traktor. I'm curious if there are people who are running Traktor very close to the basic system requirements (i5, 8GB RAM). I'm trying to spend as little as possible because most of my computing (gaming, video editing, audio editing) is done on a beefy desktop and I just need a light laptop for getting around on the subway with my Kontrol S4 Mk2.

Any and all feedback is welcome, except "get a Mac" because a) I don't like them and b) I don't have the budget for it.

According to Native Instruments Web Site, the minimum system requirements for Traktor Pro 2 is; “Windows XP (latest Service Pack, 32 Bit), Windows Vista/Windows 7 (latest Service Pack, 32/64 Bit), Intel Pentium 4 2.4 GHz or Intel Core Duo or AMD Athlon 64, 2 GB RAM”. The requirements for Traktor Pro 3 call for an i5 with 4 GB of RAM. I’ve run Traktor Pro 2 on a stick PC with a quad core Atom and 4 GB of RAM, so I think NI overstates the requirements.

I would never use a stick PC for a gig, but I have little doubt it would work since I tested it extensively. My point is; you really don’t need something as powerful as a gaming PC for Traktor. Maybe someday when they add video support??

I don’t use a laptop; my main computer is a Dell Optiplex 7440 AIO with an i5 and 8 gig of RAM... Plenty of power for Traktor Pro 2. However, I’m running Traktor Pro 3 on my less powerful Surface Pro 3, and it runs just fine.

I also own an iMac (i5 CPU), and it’s nothing special when all you’re running on it is Traktor.😊
    Last edited by DJ Bobcat; 03-06-2019 at 09:47 PM.

Oh nice. Yeah the Surface Pro was one of the computers I was considering, but I wanted another USB port (one for my external HD and another for my Kontrol S4). Do you use a Surface Connect with the Surface Pro when you're DJing?

Quote Originally Posted by punky View Post
    Oh nice. Yeah the Surface Pro was one of the computers I was considering, but I wanted another USB port (one for my external HD and another for my Kontrol S4). Do you use a Surface Connect with the Surface Pro when you're DJing?
    No... I have choices... My Surface Pro is used as a backup system to my main Dell Optiplex 7440 AIO and Denon MC6000MK2, which are mounted in a small rack. A robotic arm is attached to the rack, and I can either use the Surface Pro as a tablet by itself...

... or I can use it with a Pioneer DDJ-WeGO 3, which is attached to a platform that attaches to the robotic arm...

... When it’s used with the WeGO, the platform has a docking station mounted on it...

... so plenty of ports. When I use it as a tablet, there’s a 7 port USB Hub/Ethernet Adapter mounted on a shelf inside the rack, along with a Traktor Audio DJ (external sound card) and some other essential items, ...

... which attaches via a USB cable from the Surface Pro to the patch panel on the back of my rack. I usually use the WeGO platform though, because using the Surface Pro alone is not very good for serious mixing. I use DJay Pro when using it without the WeGO, but I run Traktor Pro 3 with the WeGO. It makes for a small but usable backup system.
    Last edited by DJ Bobcat; 03-07-2019 at 05:41 AM.

Nice! So you connect your controllers and audio interfaces via hub and it doesn't introduce huge amounts of latency / dropouts / crackles?

Nice! So you connect your controllers and audio interfaces via hub and it doesn't introduce huge amounts of latency / dropouts / crackles?
    I only connect the Surface Pro (backup system without the WeGO) that way. My Dell PC is directly connected to the Denon Controller and the WeGO plugs into the Surface Pro when using it that way. Still, I haven’t noticed ANY latency with the Surface Pro when going through the hub.

Nice! That's good to know. I like the Surfaces and their design philosophy, but the single USB 3.0 port was worrying me.

Nice! That's good to know. I like the Surfaces and their design philosophy, but the single USB 3.0 port was worrying me.
    Yep... I always thought it was kinda dumb to put just a single USB port on there. I guess they expect you to use Bluetooth devices, which I do (keyboard and mouse), but still...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's fine for anyone who isn't a musician and needs ultra low latency to do their work. Every other creative can get by with a hub. Just kind of stinks to get left out in the cold.

It's fine for anyone who isn't a musician and needs ultra low latency to do their work. Every other creative can get by with a hub. Just kind of stinks to get left out in the cold.
    I think a Surface Pro makes a decent backup computer, but frankly, it’s WAY too small (for me) to use as a primary computer. My Dell AIO computer is 23 inches, which might be a little too large, but one of the primary reasons I decided NOT to use a laptop is the screen size. Even 15.6 inches is small when it’s mounted on a stand behind your controller, and it’s awkward to set it off to the side. I could probably use a 17” laptop. There’s just no reason to. I’d still use a separate keyboard and mouse because I hate reaching so far to use the keyboard and the mouse pads on laptops suck!😄 I’m pretty likely gonna downsize to a Dell Optiplex 3030 AIO, which I already own. It’s only 19 inches, so smaller than the 7440, but larger than a laptop.😊