Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Turbosound TXD-121?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post
    It's not the look, it's not knowing why there are far better alternatives. Those who do know better have relegated their old scoop systems to the above referenced landfills. The Wailers, for instance. When I last worked with them they had long since moved on from scoops and cluster arrays, and that was twelve years ago.
    Well, the Wailers is a band, and a very famous one, so that would make sense. I would say it's more the sound system culture as it has developed in the UK that has held on to scoops. Some reggae people see the colouring the scoops give the sound as something positive; Channel One, Jah Tubbys, Mungo's Hifi, King Earthquake, OBF and thousands of smaller sounds all over UK, Europe, and the US. (Jah Tubby's in England still make scoops with a custom produced drivers).

I'm personally not so sold on scoops, I've heard them side by side to a system that ran some "simple" 21" reflex boxes, and the 21' reflex boxes sounded way cleaner and warmer. The spl on the scoops were quite more though, but I think they had more boxes too.

That picture is a perfect example of how a sound system should not be set up. It may be visually impressive to the average person, but only because the average person has no more understanding of how sound systems work than they do of rocket science or brain surgery. I can't be sure that the same applies to those who use that gear, but I wouldn't bet against it. They probably think that wavelength is a surfing term.
    Bill Fitzmaurice
    Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Yeah, I really haven't heard enough sound systems to form my own opinion on the matter. At the venue where I hold a monthly night, we have a Funktion 1 sound system and it's honestly one of the best I've heard in a club anywhere. It's really a pleasure to play on. It's not set up like a stack btw. Subs are placed in the middle and tops out to the sides.

For a festival I was a stage organizer on last year, I hired MODE audio and their set up absolutely kicked ass! Very impressive set up and sound. (I also demoed Martin Audio and they were very good as well). I'm going to be an organizer on this festival later this year, and plan another festival in my own city. That's why I'm again back to the idea of building a bigger system, something that can really deliver on bass especially. On your site, Bill, I like the T30 because I can scale up and down and maybe use fewer boxes for other smaller gigs. However, the T60 might be the way to go. I really wish I could hear your designs before building them, it's quite a project to start on blindly. I'm still looking around for designs, but maybe we end up hiring again, we will see.