Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Turbosound TXD-121?

Turbosound TXD-121?

Anyone have experience with these for DJ use?

I've been offered 4 for the price of 700GBP... 2nd hand but in visually good condition.

I was thinking of getting a sound system together. Maybe pair the turbosound with 8x TUBA30 from Billfitzmaurice or some other subs, maybe even with scoops and kickbins.

This is the only place you should see scoops and kick bins:
    Bill Fitzmaurice
    Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

They sound pretty good for what they are, an previous entry level box. Don't expect thunderous SPL from them. It's a discontinued model but if I remember correctly they were in a higher price range than the current entry level box offered by Turbosound. I can't say if it's a good deal or not, but it doesn't sound like it's too bad. Check for other offers in your area.

Cool, thanks for the replies.

What I'd really like to have is setup of speakers and built up like a tower/dance stack. I see this done with scoops, but I've read about the designs limitations etc. However Void, F1 and other companies do still use the "stack" approach, and I'm trying to find a way to build a set up like that.

They still use the stack approach because there are still people who haven't learned why it's a flawed concept. So long as people will buy them they'll continue to make them. Even the mainstream speaker manufacturers like JBL and EV long ago moved on from stacks, let alone cutting edge companies like L-Acoustics and D&B Audiotechnik.
    Bill Fitzmaurice

I take your word for it Bill, absolutely. Although I also hear people on the Danley fb forum defend the dancestack aproach and point out flaws with the line array approach etc.

I personally think the dancestack approach is the more aesthetically pleasing one.

Could it not work if I build 6x Tuba 30 a side, to place the tops on top of the Tuba 30 stacks? I’m guessing the answer is no, but still curious to know for sure.

How you you propose to wall load the T30s, keeping them close enough to the wall to eliminate boundary reflection cancellations within their pass band, while having the tops far enough away from the wall to eliminate boundary reflection cancellations within their pass band? If you're not placing your subs close to the wall and your mains far from the wall you're eliminating much of the reason for having separate subs and mains. As for having T30s split to each side, that's fine if that places them at least 50 feet apart. If it doesn't they should be clustered in one spot.
    If the reasoning behind these points isn't second nature you need to do more research into the finer points of your craft. For instance:

http://arqen.com/acoustics-101/speak...-interference/
    http://www.padrick.net/LiveSound/SubwooferInfo.htm
    https://www.prosoundweb.com/topics/s...e_power_alley/

As for aesthetics, do you want your system to look good? Or to sound good? Nobody ever left a club gushing about how good the sound system looked.
    Bill Fitzmaurice

Aesthetics do seem to become more and more important. Void, F1 and Danley all give their boxes a distinct look/paint job to stand out form all the anonymous black boxes of other speaker brands. I think this is especially popular with DJs, maybe partly because a dj isn’t much to look at compared to a band or pop star running around all over the stage. In reggae sound system culture it’s the same, and I actually think that is why so many reggae sounds keep using the scoop design or hog scoops, it’s the look. It kind of draws attention more to the sound system and underlines that the performance is a sound performance. Not that good sound and a good sound system isn’t important for a band, but for bands the stage decor, dance moves etc are what they want to be at the focus. I hope my point comes across.

I was actually also wondering if the T60 from you could be modified to be “standing” instead of lying down as the design is now, but I guess if placing speakers on top is a no go, then it doesn’t matter.

I plan to use the system mainly outdoors, I have a smaller active system that is ok for the venues I play at here indoors.
    Last edited by monkeystyle; 03-07-2019 at 02:46 AM.

For the right or the wrong reasons, not many Djs are not going to dream of playing a setup like this...

https://www.electronicbeats.net/club...-blitz-munich/
    Last edited by monkeystyle; 03-07-2019 at 03:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by monkeystyle View Post
    In reggae sound system culture it’s the same, and I actually think that is why so many reggae sounds keep using the scoop design or hog scoops, it’s the look.
    It's not the look, it's not knowing why there are far better alternatives. Those who do know better have relegated their old scoop systems to the above referenced landfills. The Wailers, for instance. When I last worked with them they had long since moved on from scoops and cluster arrays, and that was twelve years ago.
    Bill Fitzmaurice