Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Warm up DJs

Ye I'll try and be as calm and clear headed as possible. Get the first few tracks out the way and get in the groove. Should be sorted then haha.

Im hoping my passion and love of house/tech will shine through even if my mixing in the club is off lol.

Anyone have any decent first gig experiences?

My first gig was a house party and the highlight was playing Barbie Girl in a tiny bedroom with like 15 people jumping up and down at the same time making the old wood floor press in really.. really deep.
    My production tips thread. On my production philosophy, techniques, and concepts
    http://www.djforums.com/forums/showt...roduction-Tips

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Matt View Post

if the monitors or whatever are too loud then by all means turn them down to whats comfortable to you because it is a distraction
    and if its practical, its no harm to venture out onto the dancefloor early on in the night just to gauge how its actually sounding out there. IMO the monitor is just for timing, but does not sound exactly the same as the PA. i personally prefer to turn off the monitor between mixes, and just turn it on when i need it. or keep it at just enough volume to know my timing is right but not enough to drown out the main PA
    yes, when I go on, I make sure the sound on the dancefloor is good by standing right in the middle to listen, then walking round various areas where people will start to gather, to hear how it sounds there, too. As a warm-up, take your time to get the sound at a nice volume that's loud enough, but has lots of room for later. You don't have to be 'head down' straight into mixing when you 1st go on, as chances are, there will be nobody there yet. Get the sound right for when they do come in, and by that time you'll be super relaxed and right into it.
    Last edited by dlove; 03-24-2019 at 05:13 AM.

There's nothing worse than a too loud empty room. Hopefully there's a sound guy.
    My production tips thread. On my production philosophy, techniques, and concepts
    http://www.djforums.com/forums/showt...roduction-Tips

Quote Originally Posted by Hygro View Post
    There's nothing worse than a too loud empty room. Hopefully there's a sound guy.
    For sure. People will wander through & stay standing-about on the dancefloor if the sound is good; if it's too loud, they'll poke their heads through, check how empty it is and go back to the bar. If the venue only has one room, everyone will be in the smoking area outside until they're ready to get blasted. The sound levels really help to draw people in earlier.

Not long now woop woop!

Lounge is 6-9, I'm opening the main room 9-10. I suppose the music I play depends on the vibe from the lounge? I can't wait haha

% Get ready for the train wrecks lol
    Last edited by Jambon; 04-11-2019 at 02:07 PM.