Thread: Gear - Better DJ

Gear - Better DJ

So I have always had a limited amount of cash to buy gear. I started with 2 turntables and a mixer.

I see a lot of DJs with an insane amount of gear. Do these DJs really even use all that stuff when they are playing?

So my question is -> Does more gear make you a better DJ?

So, is your question about total gear owned or total gear set up during a gig?
    1) Contract, Contract, Contract!

2) Join VIP & support DJF: http://www.djforums.com/forums/payments.php

Some do, some don't. Some buy all the stuff because they see other DJs use all that gear and want to SOUND the same, some just want to LOOK the same.
    It's like with guitarists and their Marshall stacks.

Quote Originally Posted by djnotapplicable View Post
    Does more gear make you a better DJ?
    No, but it makes the job easier. My 1210s are better than the crappy plastic numarks I used to use for smaller "higher risk" gigs.

That subject pops up regularly on here, and the answer is more or less no. A good DJ should be able to do a good job on a crappy setup, exceptions made for any malfunctions that will affect how the gear runs. On the other side and I have said it before, I have seen DJs with tons of gear but never heard them being able to do anything with it.

Hi Bateman/Gerty

As a mobile DJ who works entirely alone, more gear means more setup and teardown time, and time is money. I can mix just fine on a controller attached to a computer. You’d be hard pressed to tell the difference between a mix done on a controller and a mix done on turntables or CDJ’s... Kinda depends on the DJ. I’ve seen some pretty elaborate setups, and those DJ’s may well be able to use every component... not sure???😊 Some of it may be for show. At most of the events I do, I’m not the show... the clients are, and I’m just there to provide the soundtrack for their show. If you’re the kind of DJ who IS the show, then maybe a big setup is good.😊

Quote Originally Posted by djnotapplicable View Post
    Does more gear make you a better DJ?
    The short answer is NO.

That said, I have amassed many pieces of gear throughout the years - countless mixers, samplers, effects processors, compressors, limiters, eqs, etc...
    now - a lot of those functions are built into the mixer/controller.

Less is more. I agree with Bobcat above for mobile gigs - the least amount of equipment you need to bring, the better (without sacrificing audio quality).
    Unforgiving, unrelenting, unrecoverable double beats!

Once the wife and kid are asleep... the DJ awakens

I used to be all about having a crazy setup, and I realized years ago that it's not necessary at all. Part of it came down to just getting a Kontrol S4 and living with what it can and can't do.