Thread: Hello!

Hello!

Hello everyone

I am pretty new to the whole DJ scene. I messed around with it a few years ago but did not really take it seriously, started on Drum and Bass didn't really get any professional lesson.

Times have changed and I can see making a real caeer for myself as a professional DJ now. I am learning with House music with is fine becuase I am really enjoying it. I am taking professional lesson as many times as I can. I am practicing everyday. I have got my own equipment now and I have pretty much got my head around beat matching and to be hoenst I am really enjoying myself. I am thinking about djing a lot of the time and I am very excited to drive into this as soon as possible.

I know that practicing is the key to this and being able to beat matching is a foundation skill that I need to amster before I can even think about playing out live. But once I feel I am good enough to gig, what advice can you give me for getting my first gig? In my local area there are the normal local pubs whole have 'local DJ's' every weekend surely it would not be too hard to get a gig in one of these? I live 10 mins from Brighton and 1 hour form London and of course both places have lots of clubs but I do not expect to walk in and become the DJ but I would like to DJ at Night clubs, festival and events once I am ready. What is the best way to promote myself? My firend has offered to build me a website and I have sign up for sound cloud. Is it all about who you know? or good promo or a bit of both?

Thank you in advance

Robin

The most important skill is knowing what tracks to play and understanding what tracks to play to get a certain groove going, and what tracks go well together. It is all about picking the right track at the right time. And yea you have to do a decent job mixing them. Having confidence in your best matching and mixing is important because yea you don't want to mix badly and break the flow, but more important is that you concentrate on what tracks you are playing and to concentrate on that you need to be able to be at match quickly so you have more time to think about what tracks to play.....

As far as getting gigs, yea once you think you have some pro sounding mixes, get your soundcloud going, then you need to get out there and meet people in your local DJ/club scene, there are small parties, private parties.. it's all about getting to know people and then you can get some opener slots or after hours slots or whatever, beginner slots and show people what you can do.