Thread: The Psychology behind putting on an Event......

The Psychology behind putting on an Event......

Hi, In the UK I've been running my own clubnight since 2011. I am the only DJ. I use big screen visuals, music videos and mashed up with film clips etc, I play Indie music.

I have now sold-out venues 48 times, on occasions in advance. I have 5 venues/cities in my roster that i do 3 times per year each. The venues are small, 300-ish capacity. Taking £6 per entry. 2 of the venues arent selling out and running around 70% capacity.

My night has been considered a 'show' and something different in the cities that i play in. The sellouts suggest i'm doing something correct.

However, i feel i am maybe selling my clubnight too short ? I feel that i could be playing bigger venues but concerned that i'm deluded

Here's my thoughts about visiting new cities....

1. If you seen an event being promoted that youve never heard about, and its playing a small 300 capacity venue, only charging £6, could that may give a pre-conceived perception of the quality of the event ?

2. However, If you saw an event being promoted that you've never heard about and its playing a larger 800 capacity, well respected venue, charging £8....

Would Psychology suggest that your more likely to visit the event if its in the larger venue, as 'it must be good if its playing in there' ?

Any thoughts welcome....

Also, thoughts on taking my night up a level ?

Mojo

PS: I know there are techno clubs etc that are 300 capacity and are brilliant, lets put that aside for the purposes of this discussion.
    Last edited by mojo_scotland; 02-20-2019 at 02:42 PM.

You might be on to something here but probably the wrong people to ask. We're all DJ's and have spent most our lives Dj'ing, not potential customers.

I wouldn't go regardless, unless involved, invited or a different type of music. Our town has a good indie night and I've enjoyed going after my set... at £8 entry it wouldn't do well. It's considered generic and normal in many towns. Only when they have a better band on do they charge that. It has 2 rooms. We'd always expect free entry and would accept reduced entry for non staff, that might of tagged along. Looking after Dj's from an earlier closing venue is a missed opportunity I see all too often. It's that person that tells everyone where to go next.

I know if it was a rave at £2 people would think it was rubbish... but unless it had the local heroes on, charging a higher price isn't fooling anyone. In other scenes, I can imagine it works well. In indie, the DJ's name isn't as important.

Another psychological trick is to have a higher price but various "connected" ways to get free entry, reduced entry... or even offer a higher priced speciality service, which isn't very indie! If you make people feel special, they'll do the hard work for you.

We are all potential customers, everyone is a potential customer - you even said yourself that you have become a customer of that indie night.

I'd like to think i bring more to the table than 'just another indie night' By using the two big screens of visuals etc, it adds an extra dimension to things. Also branding is critical. Brand something well, offer a twist on things, and do it less frequently, lends itself to a winner ive found.

I appreciate that the DJs name isnt important, but a branded successful clubnight part could attract folk, as i have found.

I do like you last paragraph. I'll keep that in mind.

any extra thoughts from yourself or others ?

Quote Originally Posted by mojo_scotland View Post

1. If you seen an event being promoted that you've never heard about, and its playing a small 300 capacity venue, only charging £6, could that may give a pre-conceived perception of the quality of the event ?

2. However, If you saw an event being promoted that you've never heard about and its playing a larger 800 capacity, well respected venue, charging £8....

Would Psychology suggest that your more likely to visit the event if its in the larger venue, as 'it must be good if its playing in there' ?
    I know your in the UK (i'm in the US) & that may make a difference in lifestyle, but to be honest, personally, it wouldn't matter if its in an arena that fills up 50,000 people, if I don't know the artist (or the event) & I don't have an interest in it, I ain't goin'. As for me personally, if I don't have a personal interest in the event, I'm staying home.
    On the other hand, I have & will go to a venue that holds 50 people if there is an event or band playing etc that I enjoy or have an interest in.

I am basing my decision om several factors.
    1) Contract, Contract, Contract!

2) Join VIP & support DJF: http://www.djforums.com/forums/payments.php

I'd say 'larger venues' don't neccessarily mean better - in my view, it's actually the opposite. People like to be made 'special', a step-ahead of the mainstream, so smaller, harder-to-get-into venues have the psychological upper-hand when it comes to attracting 'scenesters'/faces.

Also, on mitchies' point 3 - yes, stuff likie 'Thanks To Our Sponsors @' - get other, connected businesses involved so that you can offer discounted entry, discounted beer, gin ect. Independent record shops, clothes shops and microbreweries generally like to get on board with certain clubnights.