Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jbl or krk rokit

Jbl or krk rokit

I have been looking to upgrade my monitors for the last few weeks. I came to the decision to purchase some jbl lsr305 mkii monitors ahead of a few other brands. Just seen that krk rokit 5 has released the brand new g4 module. Apart from a couple of £ the prices are not far off. Anyone tested the new rokit? Any advice would be grateful as I'm indecisive now. Thanks

Upgrade? Unless going into the big figures, everything monitor wise is pretty much a side step, down to preference, experience and your room.

By upgrade I mean quality. At the moment I'm running everything through a stereo and small powered monitors. I'm looking at upgrading quality and the room is probably 4 m by 4m open planned studio.

This review/comparison is with the G3 but I think it pretty much spells it out.

https://homestudiomaven.com/studio-m...krk-rokit-5-g3

The KRK's are known for bass and highs not as neutral sound. The JBL is going to be more neutral which is usually what you want in a monitor.. but for DJing and ****** listening you might enjoy the bass of the KRK, assuming you don't plan to get a sub going forward.

Keep in mind that these are both cheap monitors so neither of them are gonna be truly studio quality. If you want more of a real studio monitor you need to spend more.

Thanks for the reply. It will mainly be for mixing through a djm 900 nexus 2. I'm looking at 5 inch monitors at the moment as I think they will be enough for the space. What 5 inch top quality monitors are about or any recommendations. I've mainly been looking at the £160 per powered monitor range. I will probably look a bit more into this before committing to buy now lol. Thanks again guys

I didn't mean to imply that either of those are bad, they aren't, lots of people love them for djing, they are the most popular lower priced options right now for good reason. But they ARE lower priced options.. in fact I can't think of anything cheaper I could reasonably suggest.

But yea it is hard for one person to tell another how much to spend on monitors.. You can easily spend triple what you are currently budgeting. You could easily spend 1500 or more, that's just the beginning for real pro monitors. BUT you don't need that for DJing.

Anyway what I suggest is that if you can you get out to some music stores where you can hear different monitors. Perhaps you will like these lower models just fine, because they really are a good speaker for the money. If you want to look a little higher I suggest Adam monitors, they have one called the T5V which is not much more than what you are looking at.. Then they have some more expensive models that are quite nice but you're looking at 700 and up at that point.

I'd say wait... Save more and buy something better...

The cheap KRK's are simply over priced bookshelf speakers, not monitors... but branded and marketed as monitors so people into that image buy them. You could get much better not monitor speakers for less.

The yamahas are good for the price

I have BM5's and Eve 305's. As light O, the Adams are good too. Meaning the mid priced versions. Anything less isn't what it is, anything more is a waste as your room does more damage to the sound than the lower quality of the speaker. It's better to spend the rest fixing your room first.

People say go listen but this is miss-information, a lie, the speaker will seriously change it's sound in a different room. Not just a different room but the very spot you put them in. The only way to be sure is to try them in your room.

For Dj'ing non of this matters, just get some speakers. And remember... It's the highs that help you mix right, not the bass, although some, many think the opposite. The bass cycle is too large, it's the snappy transients that help you align everything super quick.

I kept my original reply blunt as most with these questions don't return.

Quote Originally Posted by daveyb View Post
    By upgrade I mean quality.
    Yes... that's exactly what my original post is referring too. Whilst they all sound different, those differences are more of a side step related to preference, experience and your room, not actually an increase in quality. What is an increase for 1 person will be a decrease to another.

Quote Originally Posted by daveyb View Post
    At the moment I'm running everything through a stereo and small powered monitors.
    I don't understand how that works. Why are you using the Stereo if your monitors are powered? Usually people run through a stereo to take advantage of the amplifier to power the speakers.

For Dj'ing you probably want volume and you're not going to get that out of these cheap monitors.
    Last edited by mitchiemasha; 02-15-2019 at 06:38 AM.

Thanks for your opinions. It's always nice to get other peoples views. Much appreciated.

All your suggestions have been taken on board, and I understand where your all coming from. I'm thinking of going down the route of more research and save a little more to give me more options. With the size of my space I am thinking of staying with a jbl/Yamaha lower range speaker as I think it will give me what I need for djing. The reviews I read about the rokit weren't great and you guys have clarified what I thought. Regarding the stereo, I had the two small m audio powered monitors in a different space than the stereo speakers. They added a bit more beef and volume to the poor HiFi speakers. Thanks again guys