Thread: What to do

Question What to do

After I did a transition and my song is playing, I make sure the next song is ready, but after I did that, what can I do beside dancing a bit . What kind of effects can I use?

With kind regards,
    Cédric D'Haese

Good question. Look for possible next tunes, talk to people, have a drink, smoke if you're allowed to etc... At a venue I used to play there were strobe&smoke machine controls in the booth but at home you most likely don't have stuff like that to play with (and it can be annoying if you overdo it)

On karaoke nights I'd arrange/keep the queue tidy and do all sorts of (mental/physical) housekeeping.. I would keep off the smartphone though if you're playing out because many consider it rude and unprofessional but I've checked and even updated my social media feed (FB, IG etc) during a gig.

If you are playing in front of an audience you should be watching them taking notice of whether or the songs are working. You should be choosing the next song based off of the crowds reaction. You should also be thinking 2 to 3 songs ahead.
    My mission is to boldly go where no DJ has gone before

Quote Originally Posted by cedricdhaese View Post
    After I did a transition and my song is playing, I make sure the next song is ready, but after I did that, what can I do beside dancing a bit . What kind of effects can I use?

With kind regards,
    Cédric D'Haese
    Never use effects for 'something to do' as it will sound like you're just putting them in for 'something to do'. I'd say forget about what you look like; concentrate on listening deeply to the music [and observing the behaviour of the crowd, as the post above says] and you'll forget that you're on stage being watched.

Would definitely recommend using effects sparingly!

Get in the flow of your mix. When I am really feeling it, I mix much better and more creatively.

next track! make sure it matches, make your eq perfect! might as well you have time. take a drink, throw a brick we've moved on from cakes round here. have your bop whilst why you match but don't lose your phases. something i do when i'm dancing to much.

Thanks for the replies everyone! I defenitly will use your tips during a set.

If you are creative, you can try live remixing of the song you are playing. You have 8 cue buttons, use them. The hard part is making it sound good.