View Poll Results: Which DVS is your choice?

Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll
  • Serato DJ Pro (with Denon DS1)

1 33.33%
  • Traktor 3 (with NI Traktor Scratch A6)

2 66.67%
  • Rekordbox DJ (Pioneer DJ Interface 2)

0 0%

Thread: Choosing first DVS. Looking for suggestions.

Question Choosing first DVS. Looking for suggestions.

Hi guys! I'm pretty new on this board and have directly first question on you. I'm looking for my very first DVS. There are 3 systems on the market today which are interested for me.

1. Denon DS1 with Serato Dj Pro
    2. Native Instruments Traktor Scratch A6 with Traktor Pro 3
    3. PIONEER INTERFACE 2 with Rekordbox DJ as Software

Well, I'm already using Traktor Pro for many years and glad about it. But with DVS I might to mix up different sources in one set, Vinyl and Wave / mp3, or whatever. Now I'll try to describe my thoughts about pros and contras in my opinion and hope, you guys can help me with decision.

1. Denon DS1
    pros:
    - Serato Dj Pro and compatible hardware (Many main club mixers are working fine just after plug and play the laptop)
    - Manufactures are claming about low latency
    - Simple and straight user expirience
    - Vertical waveform ui which helps mixing visually
    contras:
    - No power adapter connector (If I'll shut the laptop, no sound is going thru)
    - No galvanic separation of connectors which can cause background noises
    - Not so flexibel for setting up diverse midi controllers
    - No inputs and no possibilities for mix recording with that interface

2. NI Traktor Scratch A6
    pros:
    - Traktor Pro 3 (great and highly configurable software)
    - Works with plethora of midi controllers
    - Time code vinyl is not so expensive
    - Great FX
    - Does have input chanel which gives posibility for recording of current mixtape
    contras:
    - Latency might be greater than by Serato
    - Not so much information about play thru without working laptop
    - Loudness of playing in thru mode is quiter as digital mode

3. Pioneer Dj Interface 2
    pros:
    - Rekordbox does have very flexible settings and librarian functions
    - Pioneer software is well established
    - Interface is delivered with power supply and might play after laptop is closed
    - It's possible to map diverse midi controllers
    - Pioneer is claming to have minimal latency
    contras:
    - Preamps quality by playing in thru mode is terrible
    - Time code vinyl might be
    - No inputs and no possibilities for mix recording with that interface

So, what is your tool of choice and why? What are your pros and contras? Thank you in advance!

Traktor can work with any 4x4 interface (+ phono preamp), not only A6. I'd also look into DJ player pro app.

Are you looking for a interface only or a dvs mixer?

Quote Originally Posted by stomp View Post
    I'd also look into DJ player pro app.
    What do you exactly mean whith that? I've used Traktor Pro a lot with different midi setups but I'm looking for new / different user experience.

Quote Originally Posted by stomp View Post
    Are you looking for a interface only or a dvs mixer?
    I'm looking for a dvs interface only. The idea is I can take my mixed setup (vinyl collection and laptop) to the gigs. I have also 4 channel mixer at home and don't want to spend a lot money for advanced dvs mixer at the beginning. My main styles are drum n bass, dub techno and house, so I don't realy need scratching and lot turntablism stuff. But I'm using bit older windows laptop so latency is the quest to solve.

Check it here, see if you like the idea http://djplayerpro.com/ It can be convenient as you won't be lugging a laptop but a iphone/ipad/ipod if you have one.
    As for the interfaces there's not much choice beyond those you mentioned but any 4 in 4 out can work with Traktor when added a phono preamp, so maybe you already have one that you don't see its potential?

For DJ player pro the DS1 or A6 works or other class compliant interface. Akai AMX is popular pairing with it. AMX cons - not a real mixer, works only with computer or phone/pad, it needs gain to be added when plugged in the other mixer in the club, channel trims are endless encoders. Pros: portable, worth the money.

Oh, well, Dj Player Pro is realy nice but not my thing, to be honest. I already have some interface from MOTU but it is used for music production in studio and I don't want to grab it to every gig. How I already mentioned, it is about that three interfaces. And as old Traktor user on midi I'm looking for dvs entry alternative.

Then A6 probably, if you want to stay with Traktor. I like it's wall powered and has a third in-out, dislike the phono-line switching is not on the hardware. They introduced new Komplete interfaces, so maybe a new A6 is also on the way?

Well, my decision is Traktor system. The reason is extensibility, new version of software is awesome with it's time stretching algorythms. It is also possible to connect the system with multicore cable, it gives the possibility to play vinyl and digital records records simultaneously without losing playback quality. It would be possible to that with other systems, probably, but there are no same cables for other systems. Well, and I could use extended set-up with other NI controllers like F1, X1 and so on. And thanks all for this debate.

Been using Traktor for years and it's been very solid for me since Traktor Pro 2.

Traktor Pro has been my main app for years. I've been using it since the original S4 came out. I also use the DVS version and can confirm it's great. The TCV has twice the resolution of the competition.

Still, just about all DVS work about the same. There are more effects in Traktor.

Have fun!
    -KLH
    Visit DJF's Beginner's MEGA thread and drop by my Facebook Fan Page.
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...