Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: advice on subs in uk

Quote Originally Posted by Manu View Post
    The British pound has tanked to lowest levels ever since the brexit vote and following mess.
    It's not the exchange rate that makes everything in Britain expensive, it's the VAT and all the rest of the taxes they pay.
    Bill Fitzmaurice
    Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Quote Originally Posted by drzinc View Post
    No one read my original post in this thread..... "go out and audition them that would be the best way to judge the sound"
    We did but... there's a lot more to it than sound. The room and placement has a huge impact on sound. Auditioning it will do nothing to tell you how well the driver dissipates heat, what it'll sound like after 5 hours of serious abuse. Will it last you more than 5 events before it rattles itself to bits.

The price tag alone is enough to tell you avoid, especially as it's powered. There is no way that price tag can include the necessary research and development to produce something substantial... even if they copied everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post
    It's not the exchange rate that makes everything in Britain expensive, it's the VAT and all the rest of the taxes they pay.
    I live in the UK and have been there for the past 15 years, so I have first hand experience. The pound has fallen to the lowest recorded value ever. The price of everything has shot up since the brexit referendum vote. It's actually getting so bad (including a recession triggered by the tories for the past 10 years, followed by a major consumer contraction in 2018), all the major industry companies have now entered the process of shutting down, and leaving the UK one after another, in pretty much every sector. Some of those, who do not have the option of relocating, are entering administration as the other dead end process of shutting down.

The UK has little to no electronics industry whatsoever, and they import everything. The GBP has lost value against every other currency, and so the prices of everything imported has shot up in unprecedented fashion. Or in some cases like foodstuffs, prices have remained the same, but the product size has decreased. Aka, less for your money everywhere.

https://www.theguardian.com/business...brexit-worries

Sorry about the off topic bit, please carry on.
    Last edited by Manu; 02-11-2019 at 08:24 AM.

Sounds like your politicians and voters are as intelligent as ours.
    Bill Fitzmaurice

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politi...-less-13979975

People bought into their lies and voted accordingly. Aaaaaaand the price of everything shot up, including speakers and pretty much every other bit of tech. Or the price stays more or less similar, but the quality is utter cheaply made rubbish.
    Last edited by Manu; 02-11-2019 at 11:24 AM.

The parallels with what's happened here are striking.
    Bill Fitzmaurice

HMMM! I'd have to disagree... I can get a TV 15" bigger for the same price I paid for mine some years back. 65" for what i paid on a 50" and the quality is far superior. The exchange rate is pretty bad but tech is still relatively affordable. We may import a lot of stuff but lets not forget what we do export... The UK is home to the worlds 3rd largest arms manufacturer. Whilst it's a tiny fraction of trade I don't think the UK's going to see much in real problems.

At the street level, I'm just not seeing any of what the mainstream media is pushing.

Once the pound settles and new deals are established, expect to see some great deals. look on DV247, Denon MC7000 £656, this is unbelievably low. They're a joint German UK company now and it's a clear sign that for many... it's business as usual.

I don't think the UK's going to see much in real problems
    People called the police on the day KFC ran out of chicken. This morning I was reading about someone who was told by her pharmacist, her epilepsy tablets were now going in short supply and soon running out. Calling out the contract about the ferry company with no ferries, was a funny, not funny one.

Quote Originally Posted by mitchiemasha View Post
    HMMM! I'd have to disagree... I can get a TV 15" bigger for the same price I paid for mine some years back. 65" for what i paid on a 50" and the quality is far superior. The exchange rate is pretty bad but tech is still relatively affordable. We may import a lot of stuff but lets not forget what we do export... The UK is home to the worlds 3rd largest arms manufacturer. Whilst it's a tiny fraction of trade I don't think the UK's going to see much in real problems.
    When I talk TV, I talk picture quality and brand, not just size. A 40" sony will cost more than a 65" crappy Polaroid from asda and will look worlds apart (quality is better since your previous TV, because the technology has evolved overall, i e 4K, oled, 3D, smart tech/net connectivity etc). The same as an HK Audio sub will cost more than an ebay random sub.

Not sure about why the 3rd weapons manufacture business has anything to do with mainstream consumer tech. That currently does not help to bring street prices down. It's been quite the contrary for the past 2 years. When a currency loses 30% value against other currencies, you simply cannot carry on pretending it's worth the same. Retailers certainly don't do that.
    Last edited by Manu; 02-12-2019 at 03:13 AM.

I can get a TV 15" bigger for the same price I paid for mine some years back. 65" for what i paid on a 50" and the quality is far superior.
    I'm clearly not on about budget TV's. I added that part underlined for a reason. The quality of mid priced stuff has never been better. The blacks were unbearable on anything not a Plasma that was under a grand.

̶I̶f̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶d̶i̶d̶n̶'̶t̶ ̶g̶r̶a̶s̶p̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶w̶e̶a̶p̶o̶n̶s̶ ̶p̶o̶i̶n̶t̶.̶.̶.̶ ̶I̶'̶m̶ ̶n̶o̶t̶ ̶e̶x̶p̶l̶a̶i̶n̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶i̶t̶,̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶h̶a̶d̶ ̶n̶o̶t̶h̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶d̶o̶ ̶w̶i̶t̶h̶ ̶s̶t̶r̶e̶e̶t̶ ̶p̶r̶i̶c̶e̶s̶

Ok, i'll explain a small part of it... whilst we don't really make TV's, kettles, toasters, other random generic things that other countries make.

The UK has little to no electronics industry whatsoever, and they import everything.
    What we do export are things that the powerful people of those other countries find extremely important. There not about to throw us a RAW deal at every opportunity. We just need to find our bite and stop falling for the BS fear the media is spinning.

and, I was wrong about the exchange rate being bad... 10 years ago it was 6p worse. Which to be fair was pretty bad! but do you see the point!!! (note: I didn't use question marks).

I'm not worried... I'm excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by mitchiemasha; 02-12-2019 at 03:01 PM.

I've read it. If you don't reference the brands and models, then there's nothing to substantiate. I'm glad to hear that you're excited, I wish I could say the same, but I am not amused to have witnessed my money being worth less, while the price of everything has gone up. 2018 is in effect, the worst economic year ever recorded in British history, and we have not even reached the end of the 4th quarter yet.

Otherwise we were talking subs in here.
    Last edited by Manu; 02-12-2019 at 03:17 PM.