Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: advice on subs in uk

advice on subs in uk

Hi All

I have 2 15" active tops and looking at buying a sub or 2 but have a limited budget

Not sure which to buy ?

Would it be better to buy 1 higher spec or 2 lower spec.
    they are both 18" active

this one is £250

The SWP18 PRO from Vexus Audio; a powerful 18 inch active subwoofer with an adjustable low-pass filter between 40Hz and 250Hz and a phase switch to let the sub acoustically play along on phase with the main speakers, reproducing excellent deep bass. Featuring a built-in 1200 watt amplifier and IN/THRU connection ports for line-signal-chaining (daisy chaining) to another subwoofer this strong build MDF subwoofer is perfect for mobile DJ's, fixed installations and more.
    Features
    Large 18" Woofer
    Built-in Active Low-Pass Filter
    Built-in Amplifier
    Deep Resonance-Free Bass
    Phase Adjustable (0 - 180 Degrees)
    XLR and RCA In/Output
    Tophat in Top Panel
    Extra Hard Coating
    MDF Cabinet with Recessed Handles

Specifications
    Peak Power: 800W
    Power Max: 400W
    Frequency Response: 40Hz - 250Hz
    Signal to Noise Ratio: 120dB
    Woofer: 18" (46cm)
    Top Hat: Yes
    Connector: XLR - RCA
    Dimensions: 435 x 550 x 615mm
    Weight: 27kg

OR

these are
    £110
    his best selling, awesome sounding, powerful Evolution Audio EL-SUB 18A 18" active PA subwoofer is an ideal addition to you PA setup where serious bass reinforcement is needed. This subwoofer has a built-in power amplifier allowing you to connect via an XLR cable directly from your input source such as a mixer, then also allowing you, if needed, to then connect from this subwoofer, straight out into an active full range cabinet.

There is also an integral 'top hat' fitting mounted into the top of the cabinet, allowing you to install satelite poles (35mm standard poles) to connect to your full range cabs.

We have tested just about all the 18" active subs on the market around this price range and the Evolution Audio EL-SUB 18A is certainly the best in it's class in terms of bass performance and reliability. So if you are after a single or pair of active 18" PA subwoofers to add to your sound system, this model is the one to go for!

Connections: 1 x XLR input, 1 x XLR output
    Phase Reversal: 0 / 180 °
    Adjustable Crossover: 40 to 150Hz
    Variable input level
    Metal and metal protective guards
    Impedance: 8 ohms
    Frequency response: 40Hz to 300 Hz
    Signal to noise ratio> 80dB
    Power supply: 220 - 240V, 50Hz
    55 x 65 x 45cm
    Weight: approx 31kg

It is hard to judge a speaker solely on specs or looks. If you have a chance to go out and audition them that would be the best way to judge the sound. Although the are some great budget equipment the old saying is true you get what you pay for.
    QSC GTDaudio B52 Numark NS7 American DJ Hercules 4Mx ACER Behringer Peavey Koss CerwinVega Selenium VDJ= Sweet Music
    Owner DRZ Inc.

I wouldn't recommend either. If you can't afford something better, save for longer and cut back on other expenses so that you can.

Don't waste your money on that junk, you can't buy a quality pro audio sub for $250 so you need to save up some more. Thomann UK has an in-house brand called "The Box" series, from what I have heard they are decent so have a look at these.
    Paul O'Brien
    Old Tech Guy
    www.Techott.com

Quote Originally Posted by conanski View Post
    Don't waste your money on that junk, you can't buy a quality pro audio sub for $250 so you need to save up some more. Thomann UK has an in-house brand called "The Box" series, from what I have heard they are decent so have a look at these.
    Remember he is in the UK so 250 is like 500 Canadian dollars.
    QSC GTDaudio B52 Numark NS7 American DJ Hercules 4Mx ACER Behringer Peavey Koss CerwinVega Selenium VDJ= Sweet Music
    Owner DRZ Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by drzinc View Post
    Prices in the UK are also much higher than the US or Canada. What we pay $500 USD for costs the equivalent of $700 in the UK. OP, stick with a brand name. Good used is a better route than new garbage.
    Bill Fitzmaurice
    Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

The British pound has tanked to lowest levels ever since the brexit vote and following mess.

It's pretty much on a 1 to 1 against the Euro, and the Dollar give or take a few cents. Then the price of tech has shot up since that brexit rubbish.

I would echo what has been said above, and save just a little bit more to avoid having to look at that sort of cheap junk. Buy cheap buy twice sort of thing.

Then your next option would be to score a bargain on the used market. I have done so before by going to second hand shops, and following local music groups on facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by Manu View Post
    The British pound has tanked to lowest levels ever since the brexit vote and following mess.

It's pretty much on a 1 to 1 against the Euro, and the Dollar give or take a few cents. Then the price of tech has shot up since that brexit rubbish.

I would echo what has been said above, and save just a little bit more to avoid having to look at that sort of cheap junk. Buy cheap buy twice sort of thing.

Then your next option would be to score a bargain on the used market. I have done so before by going to second hand shops, and following local music groups on facebook.
    No one read my original post in this thread..... "go out and audition them that would be the best way to judge the sound. Although the are some great budget equipment the old saying is true you get what you pay for."
    Owner DRZ Inc.

No one read my original post in this thread..... "go out and audition them that would be the best way to judge the sound.
    Sound is only part of it though and just because something sounds good doesn't mean it will be reliable, that is what you don't get at the lowend of the spectrum and it is something you can't hear and doesn't show up on the spec sheet.
    Paul O'Brien
    Old Tech Guy
    www.Techott.com

Yeah.. no pound symbol on my keyboard..

P.S. I just googled how to get the symbol... £.. too lazy to do it earlier LOL.
    Last edited by conanski; 02-10-2019 at 01:28 PM.
    Paul O'Brien
    Old Tech Guy
    www.Techott.com