Thread: begginer DJ, need ADVICE on speakers type for SMALL HOUSE PARTIES!

Question begginer DJ, need ADVICE on speakers type for SMALL HOUSE PARTIES!

Hi, my name is Nace and I am beginner dj from Slovenia. A week ago i bought my first mixer pioneer ddj-sb3. I was learning to dj on headphones, but now I decided to buy my first speakers. At first I thought studio monitors are going to be the best choice, but actually the main reason I am buying speakers is to perform on small house parties (30 people max). I know studio monitors aren't made for high volume use, and so I started looking for powered speakers. Right now I think the best choice for me is something like single BEHRINGER EUROLIVE B210 D speaker. My BUDGET rn is 200eur max. (I dont want to spend too much money on equipment in the start). What do you guys think? Actually my question to you is what kind of speaker/speakers would be best for dj-ing on small house parties (i am not a producer so i dont care about not flat sound) and are in my budget. Thank you so much for help!!

Quote Originally Posted by nacebertoncelj1 View Post
    My BUDGET rn is 200eur max. (I dont want to spend too much money on equipment in the start).
    Budgets are necessary but there is a minimum sound quality standard you should strive to meet or it will negatively impact your business. That Behringer speaker isn't going to produce much bass at all and I'm sure you will be playing bass heavy music so you needs something that can reproduce some of it.
    What is the used market like in your area?
    Are you sure you can't extend your budget to something like the Turbosound ip500?
    Paul O'Brien
    Old Tech Guy
    www.Techott.com

I've played small parties/gatherings with studio monitors.. stupid, I know but I still have them for production and they work. Like conanski said they're not designed for that (well, most of them aren't but I've heard there's a Genelec system installed at a venue)

I'd look at either small cabs (with a sub) or large-ish bookshelf speakers (for home use) on a tight budget, or if you're lucky you can score a deal on a 2nd hand system.

Active speakers are of course good if you plan on moving them around a lot, passive on the other hand allows you to place the speakers further from the amps/source.. at the cost of being somewhat clumsy and messy to setup (I've played small parties with passive 1"&15" tops and a 15" scoop too, as well as with 2 different active rigs for mobile to which I upgraded from the passive one)

begginer DJ, need ADVICE on speakers type for SMALL HOUSE PARTIES!

Most house parties don’t require much power, but as others have said, you’re gonna need something that will produce some good bass. I did several house parties with a pair of JBL EON 515XT’s, but a single speaker would probably have been fine. The problem with big 15 inch speakers like that is that they can lack some high frequency capability and sound a little muddy. After some time I switched to a 10” top over a 15” sub. Again, I had two of each, but one would have worked fine for small house parties. There may be other similar options in your area. Don’t be afraid to buy some good USED speakers. You need to shop wisely, but there are bargains galore out there for used gear. Good luck.😊

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk