Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Numark M6 USB 4 channel mixer - use with serato and turntables?

You won't be needing the cdjs at all if their only purpose is to control your mp3s. Keep them if you play cd's.
    For switching between regular and "fake" vinyl during a dj set (mixing normal records and mp3's controlled with fake records) there are two ways, depending on your equipment:

- if you have just an interface (soundcard) then you'll have to press a button in the software and the real winyl will be played thru the computer/interface.

- if you have a mixer WITH interface, then you just select phono for real vinyl, as usual, or select the pc as an input for the mp3s. That integrated interface must be dvs capable. This is a more convenient option for switching, but less mobile compared to interface scenario.

You can do it with other software, it's not only serato. Traktor, virtual dj or rekordbox are equally good. There is also freeware mixxx.org or the excellent iphone app djplayerpro.com so you can do it on your iphone ipad ipod. Even a raspberry pideck.com
    I'd be looking at dj player pro as you just want to occasionally throw in some mp3s into a vinyl set without much trickery, although it is capable of surprisingly more.

There are some specifics for each choice so hardware recommendations would follow after you choose which option you like and define the budget.
    Last edited by stomp; 02-08-2019 at 06:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by stomp View Post
    You won't be needing the cdjs at all if their only purpose is to control your mp3s. Keep them if you play cd's.
    For switching between regular and "fake" vinyl during a dj set (mixing normal records and mp3's controlled with fake records) there are two ways, depending on your equipment:

- if you have just an interface (soundcard) then you'll have to press a button in the software and the real winyl will be played thru the computer/interface.

- if you have a mixer WITH interface, then you just select phono for real vinyl, as usual, or select the pc as an input for the mp3s. That integrated interface must be dvs capable. This is a more convenient option for switching, but less mobile compared to interface scenario.

You can do it with other software, it's not only serato. Traktor, virtual dj or rekordbox are equally good. There is also freeware mixxx.org or the excellent iphone app djplayerpro.com so you can do it on your iphone ipad ipod. Even a raspberry pideck.com
    I'd be looking at dj player pro as you just want to occasionally throw in some mp3s into a vinyl set without much trickery, although it is capable of surprisingly more.

There are some specifics for each choice so hardware recommendations would follow after you choose which option you like and define the budget.
    This is super helpful. Thank you so much. I'd probably just stick with Serato as this is what I'm familiar with at this point in time. If I'm only using my turntables and no CDJs, I suppose a two channel mixer would work for this, just as long as it has an integrated interface that's dvs capable? Any recos on this end? I really don't need a fancy mixer as I'm essentially going to use it for mixing only with no tricks, etc.

And lastly, as I've never used "fake" records, is it pretty comparable to playing a real record and/or CDjs, in terms of responsiveness to touch, etc?

Thank you so much for all your help!

Quote Originally Posted by mista View Post
    This is super helpful. Thank you so much. I'd probably just stick with Serato as this is what I'm familiar with at this point in time. If I'm only using my turntables and no CDJs, I suppose a two channel mixer would work for this, just as long as it has an integrated interface that's dvs capable? Any recos on this end? I really don't need a fancy mixer as I'm essentially going to use it for mixing only with no tricks, etc.
    Serato works only with approved hardware so the choice is limited to certain models which are more expensive than other scenarios. Here's the dvs mixer choice https://serato.com/dj/hardware?type=mixer
    Pioneer djm s3 seems to be the cheapest option and Akai AMX which is a "controller mixer" that works only attached to computer (listed in the controllers section).
    Quote Originally Posted by mista View Post
    And lastly, as I've never used "fake" records, is it pretty comparable to playing a real record and/or CDjs, in terms of responsiveness to touch, etc?
    Yes, when all set up correctly and with adequate computer specs.

Basically, Serato needs a USB audio interface which brings the timecode signal from each turntable into the computer.. and which then sends the actual music audio signal back out of the computer into the mixer. One set (left and right) of inputs and outputs for each turntable. Then, in addition, the Serato box has a second set of outputs that just passes the turntable signal through.. and you plug those into the phono inputs of your mixer.. the Serato signal goes into the line inputs.. so that you can switch your mixer input switches over to phono when you want to play regular vinyl, or over to line to play using Serato. It involves a box and 4 extra RCA cables.. but it works, tons of people have been doing it for years, and it means that you can use any mixer you like whether analog or digital.

A mixer with built-in Serato capability has all that as part of the mixer, so you just plug your turntables straight to the mixer, you plug your usb from the mixer to the computer.. without the extra box or cables. It's neater, and the mixer is going to have a bunch of buttons and knobs on it that (via the USB) control some aspects of the Serato software, like effects, track selection etc, that you would normally do on the computer. So that's really nice. Those mixers aren't cheap.. and they do have one disadvantage which is that while you can take your Serato box with you places and connect it to someone else's setup, it's not quite as convenient bringing a whole mixer along and asking everyone else to use it. So if you play out at all, that's something to think about. But otherwise, these all-in-one mixers are pretty nice.

Quote Originally Posted by light-o-matic View Post
    Then, in addition, the Serato box has a second set of outputs that just passes the turntable signal through.. and you plug those into the phono inputs of your mixer..
    AFAIK this is not correct ie does not exist.

AFAIK this is not correct ie does not exist.
    I think (but am open to correction) that light-o-matic was referring to the interfaces that one can add on to any mixer to make it compatible with Serato, boxes like the Rane SL1/2/3 and Denon DS1. However, if that was what he meant, then he was incorrect in that they output line level signals that need to be connected to line inputs on the mixer. In this scenario, if the operator wants to play traditional vinyl it will have to be switched within the Serato software as I explained in an earlier post.

Quote Originally Posted by Spy View Post
    I think (but am open to correction) that light-o-matic was referring to the interfaces that one can add on to any mixer to make it compatible with Serato, boxes like the Rane SL1/2/3 and Denon DS1. However, if that was what he meant, then he was incorrect in that they output line level signals that need to be connected to line inputs on the mixer. In this scenario, if the operator wants to play traditional vinyl it will have to be switched within the Serato software as I explained in an earlier post.
    Thank you very much everyone for all your input and your expertise. This has been such an informative thread for me, and I've learned a lot!! I think I will likely scrap my CDjs altogether and go for a turntable set up only. I've had my eyes on the hoerboard DJ furniture for years, and I'd probably try and get a mixer that has serato integration to keep additional hardware/wiring/cables to a minimum, to complement the minimalistic look I'd be going for.

This has all been a big revelation to me, and I'm glad to hear one can just use turntables to play MP3s. As someone that grew up playing vinyl only, I really appreciate the "physicality" of touching plastic and being able to control tempos with my hands, etc.

Thx again everyone!

And on a sidenote, does anyone know if there is a North American company that makes DJ furniture similar to Hoerboard? Hoerboard is gorgeous, but it's expensive and shipping from Europe is also a significant add-on.

Thank you for all your help!

Quote Originally Posted by Spy View Post
    What I think is incorrect is the claim there are additional outputs for pass thru to use them for regular vinyl. There are not, to my knowledge.

What I think is incorrect is the claim there are additional outputs for pass thru to use them for regular vinyl. There are not, to my knowledge.
    The SL1 does have that, not the later models.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel S View Post
    The SL1 does have that, not the later models.
    I see. I think it's a useful feature that should be re-introduced to newer models of any brand.