Thread: Need advice on upgrading.

Need advice on upgrading.

At the moment I do karaoke and my current equipment is as follows

2 x B215XL Passive speakers https://www.gear4music.com/PA-DJ-and...PA-Speaker/A6V

Europower PMP2000D Powered Amp https://www.gear4music.com/PA-DJ-and...red-Mixer/1OCA

I also have two generic bass bins to drop the impedance from 8 to 4 so was looking at getting better ones too.

I'm looking at spending around £2000 so just need some advice as my current system just isn't powerful enough, halfway through the night the amp is nearly on full volume and also when people are singing the music gets cuts down about 80%.

I was looking at getting a mixer and power amp separate and have been looking at EV(electro voice) speakers, but what I don't understand is there are electro voice speakers with the same RMS output as my current speakers so will there be a difference? any help would be great thank you!
    Last edited by sfxhewitt; 01-26-2019 at 02:16 PM.

It's the SPL you need to look at for how loud it is... not RMS. Although, cheaper designs lie and will sound rubbish at similar stated SPLS.

An efficient speaker will be louder at the same RMS value of an inefficient speaker. Another factor to consider is how long they can drive hard before the sound goes to mush, How well the driver handles heat, a quick audition won't reveal this.

The best improvement you can make with Karaoke is learning how to set a compressor and use it on the open MIC (I don't recommend system compression). Using a compressor on the MIC will enable you to be set closer to max with out it clipping the system when they sing (shout) into the mic. You'll be able to turn the MIC up loud meaning even the quietest singers/parts can be heard with out reducing the music. All professional live performances and record singers have heavy compression applied. Don't Ride it too much though as you'll be more prone to feedback.

A 2db sidechain ducking to the music track can also be huge in achieving that extra edge but, now we're getting a little technical.

Quote Originally Posted by sfxhewitt View Post
    there are electro voice speakers with the same RMS output as my current speakers !
    Speakers don't have RMS output. Sound output, SPL, is measured in decibels, dB. EV speakers tend to have higher SPL output than most, Behringer tend to have lower SPL output than most. Your current mixer/amp is probably fine. There's no advantage in a separate mixer/power amp unless you have other devices, like crossovers and digital sound processors, that go between the mixer and amp. You don't need that type of system for karaoke.
    Bill Fitzmaurice
    Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Quote Originally Posted by mitchiemasha View Post
    It's the SPL you need to look at for how loud it is... not RMS. Although, cheaper designs lie and will sound rubbish at similar stated SPLS.

An efficient speaker will be louder at the same RMS value of an inefficient speaker. Another factor to consider is how long they can drive hard before the sound goes to mush, How well the driver handles heat, a quick audition won't reveal this.

The best improvement you can make with Karaoke is learning how to set a compressor and use it on the open MIC (I don't recommend system compression). Using a compressor on the MIC will enable you to be set closer to max with out it clipping the system when they sing (shout) into the mic. You'll be able to turn the MIC up loud meaning even the quietest singers/parts can be heard with out reducing the music. All professional live performances and record singers have heavy compression applied. Don't Ride it too much though as you'll be more prone to feedback.

A 2db sidechain ducking to the music track can also be huge in achieving that extra edge but, now we're getting a little technical.
    Ahh, I see, thanks for the info, could you explain more about compression and what would be good to use? also as i said im looking at spending around £2000, could you look on this site and advise what you would purchase? the venue i play at is for around 100+ people

thanks for your help.

I mentioned in the other post you created on the same topic(you shouldn't do that) that I think you should ditch all this gear(mixer and speakers) and buy new powered speakers and a small desktop mixer. The ultimate would be a digital mixer as it gives you all the tools necessary for effective control in a single box but of course they cost more.. although not that much anymore. Box mixers just don't have the routing options you need and adding separate rack mount compressors and EFX processors just adds to the amount of stuff you have to carry around, and these days there is no need for that. There are also analog mixers with FX and compressors built-in.. Yamaha does some and Behringer has a copy of it, one of these and new powered speakers would give you a rather large upgrade from where you are now.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Yamaha-CMG1.../dp/B00I1DMJ84
    https://www.thomann.de/gb/ev_elx200_10p.htm
    https://www.thomann.de/gb/ev_elx200_...f=search_prv_6
    Paul O'Brien
    Old Tech Guy
    www.Techott.com