Thread: Sound quality problem : Numark NDX500 + Allen & Heath Xone 23

Sound quality problem : Numark NDX500 + Allen & Heath Xone 23

Hello !

I'm new to the board and new to DJing.

I just bought two CDJs Numark NDX500 and a mixer Allen & Heath Xone 23. Everything works except that the sound coming out is terrible, it sounds like there is some kind of distortion either if I use CDs or USB sticks.
    At first, I thought that the CDJs were deffective, so I plugged my ipod in the mixer, and it was the same, less distortion but the sound quality was bad (not a clear sound).
    Of course, I checked the EQ and sound level of the channels.

I also tried to connect the mixer to two different hi fi systems, and the result is the same:
    - I have a hi fi stereo system with a Marantz PM5004 amp and two Jean-Marie Reynaud speakers, the sound quality is beautiful when I use my vinyl player.
    - I have Altec Lansing computers speakers, when I tried to connect from the mixer (RCA) to the speakers (jack 3.5), it was not on stereo, it played mono only on the right hand side speaker, but I could notice that the sound was terrible as well.

Do you think it is because you can only get a good sound on specific sound systems? Like special monitoring speakers or with professional amplifier and speakers? Is it not possible to mix at home with a regular hi fi system?

Do you have any idea of what could be the cause for this?

Thanks!

Chris
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi,

Plug the CD players into "LINE" instead of "PHONO" on the mixer.

Don't forget to turn everything back down before you start sound checking again.

Quote Originally Posted by Manu View Post
    Plug the CD players into "LINE" instead of "PHONO" on the mixer.
    +1.. that was my first thought reading the post and sure enough when I looked up the Allen & Heath Xone 23 online the Phono inputs are on the top and line inputs are below them.
    Paul O'Brien
    Old Tech Guy
    www.Techott.com

Wow thank you so much!! I feel stupid to have not tried it first haha, thanks!! Have a nice weekend!

I love DJF.

Welcome to the club, Climatronic!
    -KLH
    Visit DJF's Beginner's MEGA thread and drop by my Facebook Fan Page.
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...