Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Traktor Pro v3.1 will have parallel waveforms!!!

"Warping" is simply what Ableton Live calls timestretching... typically so that the tempo is fixed. but AL does it particularly well.

-KLH
    Visit DJF's Beginner's MEGA thread and drop by my Facebook Fan Page.
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_Spit View Post
    Can someone explain what warping is. I'm not exactly a digital dj so I'm not familiar with the term. It sounds interesting
    I'll explain what I use warping for. I play mostly old Disco music. Disco music was mostly made with a real live drummer. A lot of the new music today is made with a drum machine, so the beats are perfectly spaced apart. So when you mix two tracks together that where recorded with a drum machine, the tracks are pretty easy to beat mix, because all the beats are perfectly spaced apart. Disco music is not like that. Real drummers are not perfect, the beats are not perfectly spaced apart. Each beat has a slightly different spacing than the previous beat, or the next beat. So when you go to mix two real drummer disco tracks, it is extremely difficult, because the beats are constantly drifting in and out of sync, so most DJ's learned to "ride the pitch" so they can keep the beats in sync. With Ableton Live, you can fix those old live drummer songs, so that the beats are perfectly spaced apart, just like if the song was made with a drum machine. This is called "warping". If you warp a song in Ableton Live, and save it as a wave file, the song sounds exactly the same as the original song, except now the song is easy to mix because the beats don't drift. All the beats are perfectly spaced apart, just like a drum machine does it. I think all the warping videos I found on youtube are way too complicated, so I made my own how-to video, which is a piece of cake, and with my method, you can correctly warp just about any song. I call my method, "hold it down and slide it". Watch my video and you will see what I'm talking about.

^ Thanks KLM,Panotaker! truth be told, with all my years playing, I never heard of the term "Warping".guess, one learns something new,everyday EDIT:never been a fan of Abelton, and admit that "warping" doesn't make Abelton look easier..can't imagine doing that for my collection of over 3,000 tracks,
    Last edited by DennisBdrmDJ 2.0; 01-28-2019 at 11:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Panotaker View Post
    I'll explain what I use warping for. I play mostly old Disco music. Disco music was mostly made with a real live drummer. A lot of the new music today is made with a drum machine, so the beats are perfectly spaced apart. So when you mix two tracks together that where recorded with a drum machine, the tracks are pretty easy to beat mix, because all the beats are perfectly spaced apart. Disco music is not like that. Real drummers are not perfect, the beats are not perfectly spaced apart. Each beat has a slightly different spacing than the previous beat, or the next beat. So when you go to mix two real drummer disco tracks, it is extremely difficult, because the beats are constantly drifting in and out of sync, so most DJ's learned to "ride the pitch" so they can keep the beats in sync. With Ableton Live, you can fix those old live drummer songs, so that the beats are perfectly spaced apart, just like if the song was made with a drum machine. This is called "warping". If you warp a song in Ableton Live, and save it as a wave file, the song sounds exactly the same as the original song, except now the song is easy to mix because the beats don't drift. All the beats are perfectly spaced apart, just like a drum machine does it. I think all the warping videos I found on youtube are way too complicated, so I made my own how-to video, which is a piece of cake, and with my method, you can correctly warp just about any song. I call my method, "hold it down and slide it". Watch my video and you will see what I'm talking about.
    Thanks for the explanation. At first I was like 'warping?' then you mentioned fixing the beats... then I'm like 'to what? did you just set all your disco music to 135bpm?

Warping sounds like a good idea. But IMO, don't think its necessary unless you're doing extremely long blends. I personally like the off beat drums. Kind of like JDilla... gives the music some personality. And like many dj's who do funk and play strictly 45s its more about the track selection vs. smooth seamless transitions.

Quote Originally Posted by akswun View Post
    But IMO, don't think its necessary unless you're doing extremely long blends.
    Yep... you're right. I like extremely long blends that incorporate different elements so that transitioning is seamless.

Going back to the point, flexible beat-grids are probably the easiest way to handle it but that's limited to one DJ app. Fixing the tempo/BPM (via warping) would allow the track to be used universally within all DJ apps.
    -KLH
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...

Thx KLH and Panotaker for the explanation .

I spin a lot of disco, old school / funk records as well, so I know how much of a pain it can be to mix them sometimes. Warping seems to be a dream come true for DJ's such as myself and Panotaker who play this stuff. You just have to be willing to put in the work.
    Ya gotta love corn, it's one of the only foods that says good-bye.

Rep owed: DTR, Pete, KLH, mitchiemasha,

You just have to be willing to put in the work.
    Or be ok with using one DJ app's flexible beat-grids.

Back on topic... TP better get flexible beat-grids!
    -KLH

Can someone explain what warping is. I'm not exactly a digital dj so I'm not familiar with the term. It sounds interesting
    If you run your night off a master clock, it's essential to warp older tracks that don't grid. Like Panotaker, I use Ableton Live for stuff like - say when Aretha died and I wanted to mix Respect into the night. You literally pull beats into alignment with an onscreen grid so the timing locks in, Then in a mix you can loop any segment of the track in time, run kick beats underneath, claps over the top... all that good stuff - and more.

Flexible gridding is supposed to do all the work for you automatically. Personally I'm skeptical that software can pull it off accurately every time. So much of this is by ear... differentiating between deliberately pushed beats, beats in the pocket, etc. Until proven otherwise, I'll continue to use Ableton Live.

Quote Originally Posted by b.ill View Post
    Flexible gridding is supposed to do all the work for you automatically. Personally I'm skeptical that software can pull it off accurately every time.
    My experience with flexible beat-grids was with Torq and ITCH. IIRC, both didn't automatically apply the flexible beat-gridding when scanning tracks. It was a manual process - pretty much equal to warping. Afterward, it worked very well... but warping (via Ableton Live) really is the best answer if you want the track to have rock-solid fixed tempo.

ITCH had a slightly different take. It would adjust the tempo to accommodate the track and sync other tracks to the change in tempo. That way the "feel" of the original track would be preserved. I'm still intrigued by this approach.
    -KLH