Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pioneer DDJ SB2 unbabalanced sound

Pioneer DDJ SB2 unbabalanced sound

Hi all

Im putting together a mobile dj kit need some advice on unbalanced and balanced sound. I have a pioneer ddj sb2 which has rca unbalanced outputs and i will be using Vonyx active speakers and subs
    Do i need a DI box to convert to balanced sound, if so active or passive or will a rca to xlr cable be ok. I wont be running the cables too far probs 3-5 m long.

DI box active or passive

Hi all , setting up a system for mobile work . I have a controller with unbalanced RCA and I want to use a dibox to convert to balanced for XLR cables to my speakers . Do I use passive or active box . Please help

What controller do you have
    QSC GTDaudio B52 Numark NS7 American DJ Hercules 4Mx ACER Behringer Peavey Koss CerwinVega Selenium VDJ= Sweet Music
    Owner DRZ Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by ibxxx View Post
    I have a controller with unbalanced RCA and I want to use a dibox to convert to balanced for XLR cables to my speakers.
    For that a passive DI is all you need but this is where a small desktop PA mixer with XLR outs may be a better buy as it gives you a proper mic preamp.. something controllers either don't have or if they do it's poor quality, and you get another point of control, a way to split off an output to another set of speakers or to a recorder or camera, and somewhere to plug in a backup player.
    Paul O'Brien
    Old Tech Guy
    www.Techott.com

Hi, I have a Pioneer DDJ DB2, so will be unbalanced outputs .And will be using active speakers

Hi, can you recommend a mixer ?

Hi, can you specify a budget.

also, no point using a mixer over a controller.

I'd recommend getting a compact mixer like this:

These guys are usually under $70 and they give you the benefit of additional inputs for mics and backup sound sources as well as giving you balanced outputs.
    -KLH
    Visit DJF's Beginner's MEGA thread and drop by my Facebook Fan Page.
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...

I have a couple Mackie ProFx8 mixers, this was the smallest unit I could find with everything I wanted... a least 2 mic inputs, onboard FX, separate monitor output, balanced XLR main outs, and a USB soundcard. The mic channels on these sound a lot better than all of the Pioneer controllers except maybe the SZ model.

https://www.zzounds.com/item--MACPROFX8V2
    Paul O'Brien
    Old Tech Guy
    www.Techott.com

Quote Originally Posted by conanski View Post
    I have a couple Mackie ProFx8 mixers, this was the smallest unit I could find with everything I wanted... a least 2 mic inputs, onboard FX, separate monitor output, balanced XLR main outs, and a USB soundcard. The mic channels on these sound a lot better than all of the Pioneer controllers except maybe the SZ model.

https://www.zzounds.com/item--MACPROFX8V2
    I just gave one of the Mackie FX mixers away to a friend (along with a Drive Rack PA) about two weeks ago (didn't use them any longer since I use the QSC Touchmix 8 mixers mainly now). The Mackie FX is a great versatile mixer which I also used to send the main XLR outs from my controller before connecting to my active speakers
    If I had to play only for people who liked the music because they heard it on the radio, it wouldn't make me happy. -- David Guetta