Thread: Finding a balance

Finding a balance

Hey all,

So I'm not quite new to this forum but its been while. I'm trying to get back into the djing thing just for fun/as a hobby. However I work full time and find myself not in the most creative mood after work. My question is for all you djs and producers how do you all find the time to be your creative self while working a full time job? how do you find the balance? Thanks!

Hey mate,

I'm in a similar position to you. I'm not a producer or anything but I'm in the process of learning how to DJ whilst working full time (9-5). For me it's a case of my decks calling me all day like a magnet, during the day I can't wait to finish work and get on my decks!! I've become totally obsessed with djing (still not very good). Life does get in the way though so you just have to make the most of it. If you're enthusiastic and passionate about it then you will find the time. Even if it's half hour!

Good luck Dude

I think everyone's case/situation is different. I work full time & off on weekends, so I only work Friday, Saturday or Sunday. I am a mobile jock, so I really don't work weeknights at clubs etc.
    1) Contract, Contract, Contract!

2) Join VIP & support DJF: http://www.djforums.com/forums/payments.php

Hi, I don't know what time you start in the mornings, but if it's something like 9am, you could get half an hour to an hour on the decks before you go, that way, you'll have something to get home to do on the decks, as you'll be thinking about it all day

Quote Originally Posted by syntrik View Post
    My question is for all you djs and producers how do you all find the time to be your creative self while working a full time job? how do you find the balance? Thanks!
    Once the wife and kid are asleep - that's when the DJ awakens.
    Unforgiving, unrelenting, unrecoverable double beats!

Once the wife and kid are asleep... the DJ awakens

I'm not married, single no kids so I may not have an excuse lol. I'm a teacher full time and by the time I get home Im usually out of it. But going to try to make an effort. Thanks for the input all.

I don't practice as much as I should (I basically don't practice at all actually), but I'm constantly looking for new music. I DJ in the clubs pretty much every weekend, so I'm constantly looking for new tunes. Partly to stay on top of my selection, and partly to be excited for my gigs. I'm just not that excited to go play if I don't have new music I'm excited to drop for the people.

The digging I do is all online and I do this whenever I have minute. I listen on my phone on the websites, the feed on my facebook etc. and if something is good I do a screen shot and then when I have time I'll decide to buy the tune or not before my gig.

Welcome back, Syntrik!

Quote Originally Posted by syntrik View Post
    I'm a teacher full time and by the time I get home Im usually out of it. But going to try to make an effort. Thanks for the input all.
    Make it a priority. When you get home, you do 30m of mixing before you do anything else. At first it may seem to be a chore, but you'll find that after a short-time, it'll become relaxing as you will "turn off the day" with it... and get better. Just make sure you record yourself and listen to the recording when you go and come back.
    -KLH
    Visit DJF's Beginner's MEGA thread and drop by my Facebook Fan Page.
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...

Quote Originally Posted by KLH View Post
    Welcome back, Syntrik!

Make it a priority. When you get home, you do 30m of mixing before you do anything else. At first it may seem to be a chore, but you'll find that after a short-time, it'll become relaxing as you will "turn off the day" with it... and get better. Just make sure you record yourself and listen to the recording when you go and come back.
    I remember before I had to "adult" or should I say in my late teens and early 20s I would DJ and produce all the time. I always did and spent hours doing it. Older now and got bills but I'm hoping to get that passion/drive again. Thanks for the advice.

Start a private business at your office to keep you creative; you can read respective articles or more scientific staff about the sound maybe and anything that gives you an answer for djing. This way you choose your hobbies. You don't need to mix every day. DJs has to do with research also.
    Last edited by DJ Syfer; 03-02-2019 at 12:50 PM.