Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Serato dead?

Is Serato dead?

I just don't see any clubs using Serato anymore.

There was a time when it was desirable to spin vinyl even if it was control vinyl. DJ's wanted to play the closest thing to vinyl and Serato was it. But I notice that nobody is really doing it anymore. It seems the convenience of the flash drive and the versatility of the modern mixer has won the battle.

While turntablism is the exception, is Serato dead or dead soon?

Quote Originally Posted by steveryan View Post
    I just don't see any clubs using Serato anymore.

There was a time when it was desirable to spin vinyl even if it was control vinyl. DJ's wanted to play the closest thing to vinyl and Serato was it. But I notice that nobody is really doing it anymore. It seems the convenience of the flash drive and the versatility of the modern mixer has won the battle.

While turntablism is the exception, is Serato dead or dead soon?
    Serato doesn’t do just vinyl. If you’re a VJ, Serato is a good software choice. I also see Serato making some pretty good upgrades lately. That said, I’m a Traktor user.😊

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is Serato dead?
    Serato Scratch Live is dead.

I see controllers or CDJs in clubs nowadays. Mostly CDJs.
    -KLH
    Visit DJF's Beginner's MEGA thread and drop by my Facebook Fan Page.
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...

is Serato dead or dead soon?
    good question. I can't speak for what's happening in Vegas,but that's good info to know. here in NYC, I'm seeing a use of both serato DVS w/ CDJ control disc,and flashdrive (reckordBox)...the Serato DJ's ,seem to be doing a little more with their mixing (loops,FX), while those using RekordBox are jut mixing straight up.nothing fancy...learning that controller's are really frowned upon,here! (they really do sound like crap!)..there's another trend happening here, mixing with 7" vinyl records, it's great to see...my point is that if vinyl is making another comeback,than why would I see Serato going away,anytime soon.considering how good the program is. EDIT: been playing with Serato for over 10 years,.but,as of recent I have been looking into RekordBox, just for the knowledge, and keeping my option's open.

@Dennis
    If the pro level controllers "sound like crap," what audio interface do the Serato Dj's use that has seriously noticeable better DA's?

Quote Originally Posted by mitchiemasha View Post
    @Dennis
    If the pro level controllers "sound like crap," what audio interface do the Serato Dj's use that has seriously noticeable better DA's?
    you're not getting me into a debate. what I said ("sound like crap") was, a personal opinion within a statement. this thread is about Serato.

Serato is still being used by big name DJ's in major cities. How is it dead. Pioneer S9's & Rane 72's are all over the place with Serato as the software.

How is it dead?

Quote Originally Posted by DennisBdrmDJ 2.0 View Post
    you're not getting me into a debate. what I said ("sound like crap") was, a personal opinion within a statement. this thread is about Serato.
    It was a simple question. No debate needed. Just the name of the audio interface will do. I'm not a part of DJ city life so don't know what is in use. It's still very much about Serato as it won't work with out 1.

I think what is hurting Serato at this point is their licensing, which ties the hardware and software together. For example, if you're going for the absolutely best sound quality (using FLAC files), you run into the problem of NOT being able to use the best HQ sound cards.

Quote Originally Posted by Hanginon View Post
    I think what is hurting Serato at this point is their licensing, which ties the hardware and software together. For example, if you're going for the absolutely best sound quality (using FLAC files), you run into the problem of NOT being able to use the best HQ sound cards.
    This is definitely the case for Windows, but it might be different on the MacOS because of CoreAudio. Can you use other interfaces under CoreAudio?
    -KLH
    Visit DJF's Beginner's MEGA thread and drop by my Facebook Fan Page.
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...